Thursday, September 11, 2008

I can sew! (Just not in a straight line.)

A year ago I decided to make pretty burp cloths. I bought some cloth diapers, ordered some pretty fabric, read the directions, and thought I could make pretty things like I saw for sale on Etsy. It looked easy. (Snort.) What the heck was I thinking? I got out my sewing machine that I had not attempted to use in several years, and something was wrong with the tension and all of the thread kept bunching up underneath. I got really frustrated and gave up.

Since we're fishing widows this week with the boys away, mom decided that we were going to make those pretty burp cloths that I had the stuff for and never finished. Mom helped get the settings on the sewing machine right and then ironed and pinned the fabric to the cloth diapers. I sewed the patterned fabric on to the cloth diapers and added trim to some. It was pretty frustrating, but I got a little better. Guess it helps if you can sew in a straight line!

Here are some pics of our work tonight. Here's Mom at work with the iron and then a few of the finished burp cloths. Just don't look too closely at the stitches!



Confession of a pre-adoptive parent: Yesterday I visited my friend Amy and baby Cooper who's three weeks old. I asked if I could change his diaper if he happened to go. I confessed that I don't think I've changed a diaper since I was a middle school aged babysitter. Apparently, that's a pretty funny thing to confess to a mother of four children. Cooper made some poo in his diaper and I had my chance. Amy was nice and warned me about little boys and the fountains they make when the business is exposed to cold air. I'm thinking... okay. People hold up the little squirmy legs in one hand, right? I didn't want to look like I was treating someone else's baby too roughly. Amy's laughing at/with me and getting out the camera and snapping photos. Haha. Funny. I removed his diaper, covered the business with a wipe, and sure enough... three seconds later... he wizzed all over as I was wiping the back end. So... I clean up the front... and as I'm getting ready to unwrap the new diaper... he lets out this HUGE fart and makes another poo pile for me to clean. Great. Again, Amy thinks this is just hilarious, and keeps snapping pictures. This baby had no mercy for amateurs. So, I get out some MORE wipes, take care of the back end AGAIN... and try to figure out how tight to make the diaper. At least I knew which was the front and which was the back. Holding three week old Cooper for over an hour was delicious. I loved to hear him breathe, sigh, snort, fuss... smell his baby smell... and touch his little sweet feet.

12 comments:

  1. I'm inspired now! I also have a bag with all the supplies to make burp cloths, but I haven't attempted it yet. Maybe that's a project for the weekend.

    They look great!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cute, Sarah! I am very sewing challenged!! My mom has to do it ALL for me, I just buy the supplies. My girls never had pretty burp clothes, hmmmm.... I guess there's always the grandkids someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new machine I bought a couple weeks ago has AUTOMATIC tension!!!! You never have to set it.... just wind the bobbin, thread it, and go... I highly recommend it.

    The burp cloths look great (for now) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think the burp cloths look good. I mean, remember what their purpose is... they'll get stained, so just having them not be plain white is an advantage.

    And your diaper story is hilarious! Newborns are HARD TO CHANGE. Even for experienced moms- the newborns kick our tails. They do just as you described, going in a perfectly clean, just-changed diaper, whizzing at you (if they have a "water spicket"), and kicking those reflex-ridden legs! Sarah and Kevin, Hannah is so lucky to have you both- you are as prepared as parents can be for the unknown (of course, I mean parenting in general, not diapering- diapering is really not a big deal). I can't wait to see her in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about the straight lines, as soon as spit up touches them, they aren't nice and clean or straight or anything! Props for making them on your own though! Gotta get, it's time to hit CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you...got your email...I am back in PA for my Grandfather's funeral. Sorry I have not gotten back to you, Jon checked email so it sucked all the emails back to our home computer...
    Yes, Amy can have an invite but I don't have her email now....you can just hijack my blog again and add her to the readers if you want....seeing that we all know you can do that...hehe...

    BTW....WHERE ARE MY UPDATE PICTURES???? I AM DYIN' OVER HERE!!!

    Love ya...talk to you soon!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoopsy, I meant to comment on the burp cloths, I agree they look so easy to do, of course I don't sew so that might be a problem...maybe I can get my mom-in-law to do it for me...=)

    Too funny about changing diapers...I am in a reprieve at the moment....would love to be changing a certain little asian boy's diaper....AAAHHHHHHHHHH!! That's me screaming =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story about changing Cooper's diapee had me in STITCHES (no pun intended... seeing as how the first part of this post is about sewing burp cloths... which look fabulous to me, by the way!!)

    Sometime, you and I will break out our dusty sewing machines and open up a shop on Etsy. As soon as we can both figure out how to sew a straight line. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, good job on the cloths!

    And nice to get a rip-roaring start to diaper changing! It doesn't get any worse than that! (Okay, actually it can but we don't need to go into detail...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you did not get "sprayed"! It is NOT fun. :)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the burp diapers! Tel your mom if I EVER get a referral....I'm hiring her! :)

    Or you if your learn to sew that line. :)

    A

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a brave woman!! I don't know if I would try to change a three-week old. I'm not used to someone so tiny.

    Sounds like you had a "fun" time with the practice. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great laugh!!!! Brought be back to the days when Peyton was just a wee little thing. Burp cloths are PERFECT - hand made by mommy with love! Hugs, Tiff

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!