Monday, May 11, 2009

Germy

I call Hannah "Squirmy" because she doesn't like to lay still on the changing table. I think I'm going to start calling her "Germy" instead. We're sickly, AGAIN. Body aches, sinus pressure and pain. Since Germy has come into our home, we've had more colds, stomach flu, and bacterial infections in a short period of time than ever before. Hannah starts snotting and 12 hours later I'm full of goo as well.

Maybe I should stop kissing her.

No way!

Kevin called me at work at 1:30pm today and asked when I was coming home. I know he doesn't feel well or he's having a rough day when he calls to ask me that. I left at 3pm. Nana came to the rescue and gave us a night off. We got some decongestants and Tylenol in us and started feeling a little better. We looked at each other and said, "What are we going to do, now?" "Do you want to go see a movie?" "Na, let's clean the kitchen." I must be ill if I'd rather clean the inside of my microwave than go see a movie.

While we were cleaning the kitchen... the conversation went something like this. "Doesn't it feel strange to not have to worry about what Hannah's into?" "It feels freeing." "I keep thinking that it is way too quiet."

Speaking of snot, Kevin bought this nasal aspirator online called Nosfrida that is wonderful. We could never find a bulb that had enough suck to get out Hannah's boogers to our satisfaction after trying three different models. You don't have to put anything inside a nostril, and you use the power of your own lung power to control the sucking action. Because your mouth is doing the sucking, you've got both hands available to hold the child still and hold the tip near the nostril. Great product that really sucks!

6 comments:

  1. I got a nosefrida as babyshower gift but I'll NEVER be able to use it! So disgusting! How can you use this straw on your babie's nose? For sure you'll be sick and spray over germs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. I am so sorry you're sick again!! I hope I didn't give ours to you when we talked on the cell phone. :) Haha.

    We finally got over our stomach/gastro thing and now Claire came down with a respiratory thing. She's a little better today and went back to school, but I'm bracing myself for everyone else in the family to get it! One by one by one. Sigh.

    Love you bunches,
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that you are feeling better soon. Like before Saturday!!! Give germy a big squeeze from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To anon, Have you even looked at this device???

    It's not a straw. There is a chamber that has a filter so there's no way any mucus could go into the tubing towards the parent's mouth. We've never sucked out enough mucus to get anywhere near the filter. It seems to stop once it gets to the collection area.

    I don't see how the parent could be spreading more germs on the child than is already transmitted by normal parent/child contact. One isn't blowing back down the tube to breathe out. It's the same as breathing over a child while you're sucking snot out with a regular bulb syringe.

    Sucking out mucus is gross... but as parents, we get to do all kinds of gross things for our children. I'd much rather suck out mucus than change REALLY bad poopy diaper any day. At least boogers don't smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer. . .you guys sound like us. And I'm definitely going to go check out this wonderful aspirator that "sucks" - clearly no pun intended! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My positive spin on getting sick when Meg does, and I do every time, is that I can now get a better idea of her symptoms and what she's feeling. Now she;s getting more vocal, that may not be so necessary.. but I'm sure it will still happen.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!