Friday, March 13, 2009

snaps vs. zippers

I asked, and 100 of you answered. 71% of you agree with us that you prefer zippers to snaps on children's jammies. I don't understand... then why is that clothing manufacturers put snaps on most every pair of pajammas instead of zippers. Zippers... no thinking. It's 4:30am, you're exhausted, but you suspect a diaper blow out. You can quickly zip... check... and unzip and don't have to fumble with trying to put together stupid snaps in the dark. THEN... what's with these clothing manufacturers? Most everything is snaps, and it's hard to find zippers. We like Carter's (real Carter's... not the Carter's Child of Mine) soft fleece best, but it's hard to find zippers. One of my favorite presents for Hannah included two pairs of zippered jammies from the Flecks. One pair is pink and brown (how'd Carmen KNOW that I like PINK AND BROWN) and the other pair is creamy with pink piggies. So cute. We recently got two pairs of stretchies from the Children's Place (can't resist $3 jammies cute zippered jammies on close out) and I like them because they have grippered feet on the 6-9 month size, but they aren't so warm and soft like the Carter's. Just wish Carter's would put grippers on the bottom of the feet on the 6 months size... as Miss Hannah is standing with one handed assistance and could really use some grippers.

While I write this at 10:39pm... Kevin is 20 minutes away driving around with Hannah in the car trying to get her to fall asleep. We tried everything. Tylenol. Rocking. Bottle. Ora-Jel. Pacifier. Our usual tricks aren't working. Her hand is in her mouth with her new teeth, she's grunting, and she screams when we lay her down in bed. She pooped today, so she can't be constipated. Maybe it's something Friday the 13th Freaky. Dunno. I'm not sure what we'll try next when they get home. Plllllease, baby. Sleeeeeep.

So... while I'm waiting for them... let's talk a few of my favorite baby supply things that Kevin and I both love.

Bottles:
Kevin picked up some Nuby Non-Drip Bottles with Vari-Flow valves. You can get them with or without handles. We're loving this as a bottle that Hannah can give herself as the vari-flow nipple allows her to speed up or slow down the flow rate on her own. She can throw it around or leave it sideways on the floor, and it won't leak. Our Born Free vented bottles are our working bottles that we use most of the time when we hold her during a feeding, but the Nuby is a winner when she's in charge of her bottle.

Bibs:
For high chair use, I don't want to use any other bib than a Bumkins bib. Why wash cloth bibs that are going to get all nasty and stained from baby food when you can use a bib that just washes off in the sink and drip dries when left out on top of the high chair???

Hair:
Handmade clippies with no slip grips on Etsy. Only clippies with no slip grips will stay in Hannah's very fine baby hair. I've ordered twice now from this Etsy seller.
Nylon handbands on Etsy. You can buy plain ones and clip on your own bling, or buy them with the bling (flowers, ribbons, etc.) already sewn on.

Nursery:
Kevin is a big fan of Carter's East-Fit Velour Crib sheets. They are so soft, and they are staying so soft after several washings. The soft crib sheet that came with our crib set felt nice at first, but didn't hold up. These feel so soft to the touch. I'd like a fitted sheet like this on my bed!

Do you have a favorite baby product that you'd like to share? Let us know about it in the comments are of this post, or send me a link to where you've blogged about your favorite baby products, and I'll include the link in the bottom of this post.

P.S. at 11:11pm. Return trip on the car ride worked. Night night.

11 comments:

  1. We are totally a zipper family!! That is why we gave you zipper jamms :) I also use the walmart and meijer brand Bumpkins bibs--perfect for home or on the run, I've never used a cloth one!!! My favorite things besides the two mentioned above include sippy cups--(whoever invented these is a genius!!!), desitin diaper rash cream--(clears my girls up over night!!) and Parent's Choice non scented baby wipes--(at Walmart, cheaper than Huggies and just as good!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I have spent many a sleepless night driving the streets of Nor Cal with a fussy, won't go to sleep for the life of me, don't even think of putting me down...or stopping at a red light baby! And then there was Tanner who for the first few months of his life would only sleep if we held him while rocking back and forth on the squeaky kitchen floor of our upstairs apartment- my downstairs nieghbor still hates me to this day! He was my APNEA baby so he was a tad spoiled when it came to sleeping. Glad your trick worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Arbonne baby products... love Diapees & Wipees... love Robeez and Kate Quinn organic clothing... love Haba toys... love Kecci diaper bags in Asian fabrics.

    Great list Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She IS teething. I'm sorry, I should have spelled that out better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like zippers because it is too easy to possibly zip the baby's (or toddler's) skin. My husband is like a lumberjack and does stuff fast so I think snaps are even better for him. Kids that need help getting dressed don't stay little that long, so snaps don't bother me if they take a little more time. There is one very big problem with snaps though. Well two. 1.) is that they can fall off and 2.) is they can lose their "grip" and not stay snapped. And that can be aggravating!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See..71%.. that is SOOOO funny.
    I hate a zipper..HATE THEM!
    Your list is Super.
    We have had 2 babes that LOVE to sleep in the car . They are 7 & 5 and they STILL love to sleep in the care.
    Hope it gets better. ;)

    xoxo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite things for baby/toddler:

    1. EAR TUBES. I know this is not a product and will not be necessary for too many kids. But if you have a baby or toddler with any kind of ear infections, beg your pediatrician for tubes ASAP!!! The procedure is fast and it is the single best thing I ever did for my son. He was 10 months when he got the tubes and they have long since fallen out. But I will tell you this, it was years after those tubes before he got another fever. I fretted and fretted about it too. And what a waste of worry that was.

    2. For little babies--a snap&go. It is basically a set of wheels with some storage that you can pop the little carseat into. So much easier to use that the big stroller. But most babies are in the bigger carseats by 6 months.

    3. For little babies (who are still taking formula) the travel container that has three openings that you can pre-measure dry formula into. Then you pour the water into each bottle and mix the bottle as you need it. (Of course breastfeeding is much more convenient if you have that option!!)

    4. Any stroller that has telescoping handles! I am tall and so is my dh. A typical stroller, especially a typical umbrella stroller kills my back. I can only take baby steps and I need to lean over. But we have a really awesome umbrella type stroller (it's by In-Step, but they discontinued it a while back) that has telescoping handles. We push a button and boom, the handles can be pulled way out. Then we can stand straight and also take nice long strides. Then when you put the stroller back in the car, you can telescope them in to take up less room!! That is my FAV!!! (next to ear tubes!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the baby tips. We are expecting again (our youngest is 7!) and I feel clueless about all the new baby products on the scene since I was last in the market for them. I am totally getting some of those velour sheets--they look wonderful!

    I've heard that you can use puffy craft paint to paint your own non-skid dots on socks or sleeper feet. Could be worth a try? BTW, I was one of the voters for snaps over zippers. :) Only because I snagged my son's skin in a zipper once and it left a blood blister. Talk about mommy guilt...I think it traumatized me more than him.

    Oh, and talk to your ped about Hannah's teething pain. My first had an awful time with it and they gave him a prescription that helped. That was ten years ago so I don't remember what it was, but it's worth asking.

    Anyway, love your blog! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...one product we couldn't live without for either of our two kids (all the way through their molars) was Teething Tablets. They are homeopathic and found by the other teething products. Orajel never made a dent with our kids but the tablets were awesome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm anti-teething tablets because they contain belladonna, aka deadly nightshade plant. Just because it's "natural," doesn't mean that it is safe. I don't trust an herbal manufacturer. If they screwed up the amount of belladonna they but in their tablets... there would be a big problem. 9/10 times Tylenol works for us just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!