Monday, March 30, 2009

giggles in the grass

giggle

giggle 2

smile in the grass

Little Miss was all smiles and giggles when I got home from work this evening. Smiles + Sunshine outside = camera time!

If you're more than a novice photographer... stop reading here so I don't embarrass myself in front of you. If you're a newbie like me... read on. I'm learning about aperture today, using my camera on the Av (aperture priority) setting for the first time. Lower f values create a more narrow depth of field where the background blurs to isolate your subject from the background. I'm also getting handy at moving the auto focus selector around in my frame so that I can get the focus on Hannah's face and not an arm, the top of her head, her chest, etc. I can't wait until it warms up and I don't have to worry about little hands and and feet starting to get cold after 5 minutes outside!

If you are wanting to get a DSLR for the first time and are frowning at the prices... I've found a good deal. You can get a refurbished Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens for $374.95 here at Adorama. I found the link to this refurbed Nikon D40 from Ken Rockwell's site. You can drop a hint to your husband about what you want for Mother's Day by e-mailing him a link do this post. :)

9 comments:

  1. These are beautiful Sarah!!! Your photography is really excelling, but your subject is pretty amazing too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first Miss HC has the most extensive, and adorable wardrobe. Please, continue on with the "shooting in AV" mode - I've tried, and failed, and tried again, and well, the "P" mode is still calling my name! I read and re-read the tutorials on I HEART Faces and I'm still stuck. My AV shots are always blurry. Thanks for your sweet comment - sorry to hear that you're going through the 2 steps forward, 1 step back in your household too. We're all in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really looks like the camera just loves Hannah! Awesome pics. She is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Your blog is turning into a photography blog. My camera has been in A mode since 1982. These days I usually shoot at a wider aperture. The wider aperture will not only help isolate the subject but will also increase the shutter speed... which is key to capturing a clear pic of a toddler.

    PS. If you have a Nikon, the 50mm f1.8 lens is a good low light portrait lens (and a bargain at $100 or so). The new 35mm f1.8 might also work. I have the older 35 mm f2 and I use that lens 80% of the time. It's just a nice package to carry around as it's small, light and goes to f2 so it's good in low light.... and, OK, I'll stop before my comment is longer than your post... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin, I always enjoy comments from Megan's daddy! I had the aperature WAY wide Monday. I'm working to find what I like... and looking at others' similar photography to see what aperature value they used when I see what I like. I started out at f1.8 and then cranked it up to f4 and f4.5 later. I'm using my new 85mm f1.8 lens for these most recent shots with my Canon Rebel XSi. Kinda wish we had chosen a Nikon now because they have face recognition for their auto focus where the Canons in this price bracket do not... but I'm not switching. I'll just get better at learning how to use the auto focus and someday if Hannah slows down and can sit for a few minutes... go manual focus. I'm heading over to your blog now to see what your family has been up to these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sarah - The 85 mm is the perfect lens for portraits. I think these lenses often gain a little sharpness stopped down a bit from 1.8 and 1.8 close in is a pretty shallow DOF.... something to keep in mind.

    Great stuff. Look forward to seeing more.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I think I should be excited but I'm not sure yet! Daddy Man visited your blog and I'm not sure if it was Hannah's giggles in the grass photo's or your helpful hint for a new camera, but guess who is getting a new camera?!!! Yippee!!! He just handed me the printable receipt, said to go thank "you" for it and went downstairs to game on the X-box. I'm getting a Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera kit with Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens. I have no idea what all of that is, but he said that should make me happy for a little while. I'll let you know!
    Love Hannah's dress! She makes it look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can she be any cuter?!!!! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable pics, Sarah. I just LOVE your new header!! GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!