Thursday, April 2, 2009

Back to Basics - Black and White 35mm

Please note that this post and the film black and white photography is from Daddy Kevin and not me! The last shot he posted here made me cry. Love you, hon! You are so sweet with our daughter. I love especially listening you talk to her while you give her a bottle. ~Sarah

90780006

When I was in high school, I took a photography class to learn more about the art of capturing images. The process of creating the shot has so many junctions where it could go wrong; but when everything came together from releasing the shutter to developing the film to printing the shot... It was very satisfying to see the finished image.

90780001

I love shooting in B/W. The contrast of light and shadow makes for a very memorable image. I love our Canon Digital Rebel XSi and it has a very nice B/W mode, however there is one thing wrong with it. It is too "perfect". Properly exposed film has grain that digital files don't have. (JPEG compression artifacts are NOT grain!) :)

90780035

Last week I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel G body and got "Back to Basics". Unfortunately I do not have a darkroom to process and print my own film but technology has progressed since my high school days. Kodak now makes a B/W film that can be developed wherever color prints are processed. I took two rolls of film to my local Walgreens today. I'm not thrilled with the job they did processing and printing the film but until I find an alternate location it will suffice.

90850034

I opened my own Flickr account where you can see the pictures I took today. I posted every frame I took - even the "throwaway frames". The challenge of photography with film that I enjoy the most is being *picky* with your shutter release. You only have so many exposures on that roll and you have to do your best to make them count.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resisted digital longer than most because of all the things you've mentioned here, Kevin!!!! Yay for FILM!!!! Of course, now I love our digital Rebel and we don't bother with film anymore. I will say, that the B&W that can be color processed is *not* as good as traditional B&W, no matter the place you take it, but you might have more luck with a camera shop. Her in Nashville, I love the Wolf/Ritz chain for their attention to detail with my digital prints and they also still do film.

    I love photography more than I have talent (or time to improve the talent) and I still don't have Photoshop figured out (so stinkin' hard!) so when I shoot in digital, I do carefully crop and adjust so that I am happy (enough) with the result without tinkering afterward. Typing that made me laugh, though, because I recently took about 400 images at Disneyland and I never would have shot 11 rolls in two days before! Ha!

    Oh well. Great job with the HC shots- a beautiful subject always makes the job easier!

    Tisra
    thinking Dorothy will look great in B&W :-)
    http://www.bdhq.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it's official! We are booking BOTH of you to photograph our girls--get your pricelist together!!!!!!!

    Beautiful pictures, Kevin! Of course, it helps having a beautiful subject, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tisra - Yeah, I am not thrilled about C-41 processing B/W film... There is just something *wrong* with an orange-colored B/W negative! My main problem is the investment in darkroom supplies. Developing your own film is cheap enough - but where is the fun in that if you can not print it yourself as well? We just don not have the space available for the enlarging equipment. It kills me to take my film to a... *shudder*... Drug Store to be printed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again anyway. Your blog header is gorgeous. Everytime I come here, I have to take a moment to stare at the beautiful Hannah Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,
    When will you open your studio and begin enrolling for your next class? Count me in!
    Your pictures are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU, my friend...have been holdin' out on us!

    xoxo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such awesome pictures. I just love your header, her eyes are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a Ritz Camera in your area? That's where I get all my black and white film developed...they will also develop it with a white border. It adds a nice professional touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job Daddy. Can you do a Mommy and HC photo shoot next? Will you be doing on-line lessons for us? I've been bugging your wife, but maybe the both of you could put your heads together and make it happen. We're all chompin' at the bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin - all that and a photographer too? Move over Monte =).hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I like the first shot. I always found black and white tough as it forces you to pay attention to composition a bit more than color. I keep a few film cameras around here just in case I get the urge to shoot film again. Digital has spoiled me with the push the "push the button as much as you like, the electrons are almost free" mentality.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!