Friday, January 9, 2009

Hello Kitty Cafe

Earlier this year I read this blog post (click to read) about the Hello Kitty Cafe in Taipei, and thought it was so cutesy that I just had to DRAG Kevin there when we go to Taiwan. Yes, the service isn't supposed to be that great and the dinners aren't worth the money, but that's not what you're going there for. You're going there for the atmosphere, indulging the seven year old girl somewhere deep inside of you that still has a love for Hello Kitty lip gloss. I remember a time when a store at Glenbrook Mall in Fort Wayne near the ice skating rink was just heaven because it had a Hello Kitty section!

Anyway, we came to Taiwan equipped with a Hello Kitty outfit from my friend Rebecca. Thank goodness the pants have a drawstring waist, as little bug needed the waist cinched tightly to keep on anything 6-9 months in size. We mapped out the location (see photo below) hopped on the MRT, took photos of Hannah at the Sun Yat-Sen and Chiang Kai-Shek memorials, and then searched out the famed Hello Kitty Cafe.

IMG_3739

2009-01-01_05-02-07_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-14-11_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-13-59_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-12-13_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_05-01-08_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-15-20_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-15-12_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_05-01-23_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-57-37_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-46-33_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-53-26_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-52-33_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-01_04-37-04_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Mama orders a latte, Hello Kitty style.

2009-01-01_04-33-19_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
And a pretty piece of chocolate cake. It's all about presentation.

2009-01-01_04-36-36_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Dada gets a smoothie. They don't serve soft drinks. He'd prefer a Diet Coke.

2009-01-01_04-36-04_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Dada's dessert. He wasn't so happy about being here, so Mama ordered for him.

2009-01-01_04-46-57_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
After dessert we were brought a little plate of fruit and molded gelatin. Daddy stabbed the Hello Kitty's face to let Mama know what the thought of all of this Hello Kitty business.

2009-01-01_04-54-31_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi_copy

2009-01-01_04-56-15_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi_copy

2009-01-01_04-54-21_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi_copy
That's okay. Mama's still having a good time, even if the rest of the family is starting to get a little fussy.

2009-01-01_04-46-32_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Can we go yet?

What did I think of the place? Not a place to bring a husband that's hungry for "real food" after walking around the cold and rainy streets of Taipei in January with a baby. Bring the seven year old daughter instead, but come just for dessert and drinks as the food is overpriced. She'll love it!

17 comments:

  1. okay, So Kevin's face really shows how he didn't want to be there... but that sure gave some adorable first birthday ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I was in a different Taiwan than you guys! This is such valuable info for future families. We plan on visiting again in a few years. I'll need to go back and read all your posts so we don't forget something. Thank you! And Hannah is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way!! Our hotel was pretty much across the street from HK, we thought it was just for deserts, didn't realize it had food too! We walked past it everyday! Glad you got to go, it was calling my name too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm just going to have to stay after closing and just eat everything... I need to go practice my "it wasn't me" face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!! And Daddy needs to realize he is now entering a girls world with his new daughter...........as this is only the beggining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin is a GREAT guy for indulging you!! Looks like a great experience though. FUN FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to put that on my list. That is crazy.

    I know this has nothing to do with Hello Kitty, but through a night of google searches I came upon this book, "Letters of Love from China". It's not Taiwan, but it's a children's book written from the birth mother. I am just passing on the link to everyone I know. http://www.plumblossombooks.com/

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brad would have the same reaction as Kevin! I am laughing so hard right now, because Kevin's face says it all--a look I am all too familiar with over here!! I would have LOVED LOVED LOVED to go there! I remember the SAME store you are talking about at Glenbrook with Hello Kitty--LOVED it! Oh, I wish we would have known about this when we were there--Braylen would have gone CRAZY for it. Guess we'll have to go on our heritage trip in a few years :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. I don't know if you have one near you but H&M has awesome Hello Kitty stuff. I just bought Miranda some super cute pj's from there.

    She's so darn cute and I don't know if I've ever seen her mom and dad happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am laughing so hard at Kevin's expressions- this is TOTALLY how Eric would be. But, I think that would be a hoot to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this will definitely be on our itinerary when we head to Taiwan. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute place! Really enjoyed the pics... Should we tell Kevin that this is just the beginning? Afterall, he's out numbered now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww. I've actually yet to go inside, but it is a really cute place. It'll be so much fun to go back to when Hannah gets older and you have pictures. Glad you got to visit some places you found on the blog. :)

    ps.. you'll get a kick out of this site hellokittyhell.com .. there is the craziest things on there (including a filling that looks like HK?!) i laughed so hard there was tears when i first read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGGG! I want to go there hahha your daughter is super cute also!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i wanna goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!