Saturday, September 6, 2008

The men have gone fishing, so the "fishing widows" have gone shopping.

"What?" you may be asking. "One week, no blog?" Well... there's nothing to blog about on the adoption front, except that I've been trying to reteach myself some lullaby tunes. This past month I've decided that it's time to stop designing blogs for charity, and we're winding that down. My new interest is photography, as I long to take photos of Hannah Claire. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 and I'm doing a lot of reading about how to use the program and about photo editing. I'm playing around with some photo actions, and they're really cool. If any readers are photo editing people and have some favorite tutorial sites to share, I'd love your input... especially for sites that have great downloadable FREE actions. I feel like the Photoshop learning curve is so steep that it's been hard for me to jump on the bandwagon.

I dropped Kevin off Friday morning at 5:45am at the local greasy spoon diner where my dad, my uncle, and THE GUYS were meeting to head north to a remote lake in Ontario for a week of fishing for walleye, pike, and bass. This is Kevin's first time doing something like this, as he's only fished for bluegill and sunfish before in ponds and lakes in Indiana. When I dropped him off, I told the group, "Now, be gentle with him." They laughed at me. I have a feeling Kevin will come home with a sunburn, chapped lips, a whole lotta stories, and a new nickname. And maybe not so many fish!

Now that Mom and I are "fishing widows" as the men off in Canada, we're going shopping this weekend. I've got the coupons lined up, the sales staked out, and we're ready to go. A trip to the botanical gardens is on our list too. See ya.

Updated 7:38pm:
After posting this, I remembered a post at Waiting for Sophie where Shana has some great links for Photoshop Actions . I'm checking out the sites that her commenters left. If you are interested in learning about actions too, check out that post.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast - for both Kevin and you!!!

    Andy is going up to Alaska to fish next year... I think I may steal your idea of a SHOPPING WEEKEND for myself while he's gone. :)

    I couldn't tell you anything brilliant about photo editing. I think you and I are in the same place. We both want to get better, but the PS learning curve is a hard one to scale (especially when you are a busy mama!) I am hoping my photog. friend will give me tips, and I will pass them on to you (or blog about them).

    Look for something in your mail Monday or Tuesday. I am so excited for you to get it. :)

    xoxo, have fun shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your husband must have a really flexible schedule. He seems to get to go on lots of trips! Enjoy your time shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin's waiting to be a stay at home dad. His schedule is pretty flexible for now... but that's all gonna change on gotcha day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photoshop actions---FREE---

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/actions/

    http://gettotallyrad.com/#download-a-sample-2dc7ae

    These two sets are my favorite and most used. I use actions daily, they're wonderful, and fast. Though, you will need to learn to manipulate them using your layers..because some photos will need a little tweaking even with the actions...

    If you find some great freebies, please share!! There are a ton of for purchase sets I'd love to own, but wozier are those expensive!

    Good luck with Photoshop, I'm still leanring something new everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!