Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Doing the Math and Carrying the Babydog

Unfortunately, my mind has turned to math lately. I'm starting to number crunch to figure out what's average for when we might hear good news about a first decree with our adoption court case in Taiwan. I figure that we would have been logged into court around 8/11/08. From log in to first decree, I'm seeing numbers anywhere from two weeks to five months, but average seems to be two to three months lately. If we're in that average window of two to three months, that means we should be able to travel before the end of the year. Traveling before the end of the year is good for all sorts of reasons... other than the obvious one, that we want to meet our daughter as soon as possible. Traveling before the end of the year allows me to use up the two weeks of 2008 vacation that I've been saving, and allows me to use up to three weeks of my 2009 when we return home. People unfamiliar with adoption always surprised to learn that most employers don't offer adopting parents maternity leave like if we'd just had a biological child. My employer offers $4000 adoption reimbursement which is taxed, so it may end up being about $3000. That doesn't go very far. It buys one round trip ticket to Taiwan and a few nights in a hotel. Thanks. The rest of my time off has to be unpaid FMLA. Finalizing the adoption in Taiwan in 2008 also means that we can take advantage of the adoption tax credit and child tax credit in our 2008 taxes, refunded in February 2009... which will pay for my time off for bonding and figuring out how to be a first time mother. This is my blog... so I figured that I need to blog about what I think about ALL DAY LONG right now. When. When. When. And, OOH! That outfit is sooo cute! This girl needs to come home soon, because she's running out of hangers due to Mommy's retail therapy.

This past month I've bought two babycarriers, a mei tai and a wrap. I figured that I should figure out how to use these long before I try putting a baby in them. What's one to do? Practice with the babydog, of course! Sedona thinks babydog wearing is a great idea, because it gives her easy access to lick my face. My favorite of the two is my BabyHawk mei tai, a Chinese inspired design. It has long straps that tie around the parent. One can wear a baby (or a babydog) in the front, in the back, or even on the side. Kevin thinks I'm crazy for putting the dog in the babycarrier. Just you wait. Several months from how his back will be killing him and he'll be asking me how to use that babycarrier thing.

babycarrier


I also bought a Sleepywrap. It is one long sheet of stretchy cotton material. It's comfortable enough, but I think I look like a blue mummy, not a mommy, when I'm wearing it. It looks so bad, I'm not including a photo of Sedona in the sleepwrap. You'll just have to imagine me looking like a blue mummy with a dog inside licking my face.

In other news, Kevin bought us our wedding anniversary present. He suprised me with a Cannon Rebel XSi last week. I don't know much about manual settings on a camera, but Kevin does. He did photography in high school and worked for a little while for a portrait studio that specalizes in high school senior photos. My local friend Jeri has loaned us some of her lenses and he's been having fun learning the new camera, and I'm enjoying learning how to process the photos with Photoshop. Here are a two of my favorites from last week. It's autumn, my favorite time of year! Enjoy!

fallpumpkin


fallberries


railroadties_fudge

15 comments:

  1. I love that carrier, and I totally would have put my cats in it...and my husband totally would have thought I was crazy too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I practiced with a bag of potatoes in our carrier. My husband thought I was crazy, too (and still does). You can imagine how silly I looked, but that carrier was awesome in China (remove potatoes, add 11 month squirmy kid). We used the Hip Hammock. Worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOhhh Yeah!!! That is an awesome Anniversary gift! What wonderful pictures...I've always wished that I knew more about taking good pictures. Lucky you to have someone in the family who knows what they're doing! Go Kevin~
    I love the baby wraps. Allie will see hers and go over and grab it and want me to put it on and carry her around. You will love it too!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little babydog carrier. I love the fabric on it. The pictures are great! I agree, fall is my favorite time of year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a mei tai with Grant and loved it!!! Still have it... I could have given it to you!!!!

    The photos are fab... how fun that you have a pro in the family already! H.C. is going to be one well-photographed baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great gift! I have an XTi, but the one you have now is incredible! I can't wait to see all the photos you share. I've been number crunching, but it's just for the financial statements for our HS & Dossier.

    I love how you practice carrying Hannah Claire with your pup! BTW, I'm all about retail therapy! I will be praying you are home with your sweet angel very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havea sleepywrap that sleepywrap.com GAVE to us as promotional and we were suppose to send them pics of me wearing it with Noah in it in Taiwan! Well, NOAH FLIPPED OUT. Hated it! CRIED AND CRIED :( I am so sad because I really NEED a way to carry him since he does not want to be put down. Praying Hannah Claire likes it better or your chinese wrap! :) neat :)

    hugs
    Tami
    Noah's mama
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the carriers! Miranda hated the wrap style but loved the baby bjorn. Now she will still even go in the Beco (like the MT) on my back and when she's sick will go in the front still. It takes time to get them to adjust to that since they are not used to being carried. So don't worry if she doesn't enjoy it at first, just try again another day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to say I loved the pumpkin picture (which was the point of my comments) :) Mommy brain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't waiting the hardest? Thanks for your math info. I figure I'm about a month behind you. ugh. That means I have at least another month of waiting. Jealous of your Canon Rebel. I wanted one so bad!! Great photos! Praying that we BOTH pick up our babies by years end. :)
    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll have to review the camera for me. I'm saving up for a new camera since the current one is horrible, and I have no idea which one to get

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was given a Baby Hawk and love it! You will receive oodles of compliments on it since they look great and aren't all that common. We used the Baby Bjorn for travel since that was easy for hubbie and I to switch back and forth with, but I use the Hawk most for around town and even around the house. It's much cooler since a lot more air can flow through and you can snug your little one in really close to you. I was intimidated by it at first, but as you must know from practicing it's pretty easy to use! Love the pics, too!

    R...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pics! Love the carrier also. Great stuff. Tell Kevin he's already awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "railroad ties and stakes" is my favorite.
    Good eye.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same baby hawk and love it! We used it A LOT in Vietnam and still use it a lot with our 20 month old. It's very easy to carry her in it still!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!