Friday, September 19, 2008

Green Island Serenade

I've been out and about a lot this week and have had many people asking for baby news. It's nearing the time of the month that updates come, but I'm not counting on any. It is heartbreaking to expect pictures and news, and then nothing comes. It's a lot easier just not to expect any news, and be very thankful and excited when the updates come. We could get a phone call tomorrow about a first ruling... or it could be a few months from now. We're waited so long to get to this point, it's hard to be glum. People not familiar with international adoption tell me they can't believe I'm so patient. Patient??? Not really. Just still so thankful and thrilled for the opportunity to be the parents of this sweet little girl.

I did get a little more of a medical update this week. Ching-Ling had her eyes checked June 2nd and things looked good, just needs rechecked in six months. A "skin doctor" evaluated a skin issue on July 30th and reported that it should go away on it's own. We didn't know until now that she has a mild umbilical hernia. Oh well, just more to add to the list of things to check out when she gets home. I'm planning on using the Riley International Adoption Clinic and we'll see what their recommendations are.

I find myself singing songs to myself for Hannah these days. I dream of having a little girl that wants to sing long with me. I can't sing this one... but I thought it was really pretty. Enjoy.

Vienna Teng sings Green Island Serenade, from her album
Warm Strangers, at Bol Park in Palo Alto, CA on August 7, 2007.

This song sometimes has political meaning, as the Green Island, Taiwan, was used as a place of exile for political prisoners from the late 1940s during the single party rule of Taiwan's Kuomintang political party. The original intent of this song is probably a tribute to Taiwan.

This green island is like a boat,
floating in the moonlight.
My darling, you too are
floating in the sea of my heart.
Let the sound of my song follow the breeze,
blowing open the curtain of your window.
Let my love follow the flowing water,
endlessly pouring out its feelings for you.
The long shadows of the palm trees
cannot conceal my love;
the bright beauty of the moonlight
casts its brilliance into my heart.
This green island night
is so calm and serene.
My darling, why are you
silent, saying nothing?

5 comments:

  1. I read this post and smile... accept and breathe has been my new motto lately. No news here either but am so thankful to see our daughter's face every morning and get to dream. I bet your little one makes you smile everytime you see her too. I just have to say, Congrats again on being a mommy! Absolutely love the song. =0) Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! I don't know how to put videos on my blog, but I'd love to have that on there as a tribute for Alea's birthmother when she checks in!

    We used Riley's Adoption clinic--top notch! We loved them and they were so resourceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful song. It's very peaceful. I pray for peace for you as you continue to wait to hear the wonderful news! We'll be here waiting with you and cheering with you too when that phone rings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh... two posts! Come on over to my place and get an award. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a gorgeous song. It would be a sweet lullaby to play on a CD player in her room while you rock your baby!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!