Saturday, September 27, 2008

date night

Kevin called me at work Friday and asked me out on a date. Isn't that nice?

We first stopped by Amy and the gang's on the way out. I demonstrated the mai tai on baby Cooper, and I'm talking about the baby carrier... not the alcoholic beverage. Little Coop had the hiccups, but seemed pretty comfortable in the carrier. Maybe the mai tai carrier tastes a little like a mai tai drink, as Coop seemed to enjoy sucking on one of the straps. Kevin held the baby for a while in the recliner, and he looks so sweet smelling baby smells and touching his soft little feet.

We went out for Oley's Pizza (classic double crust pizza place in the Fort) and hung out at Barnes and Noble for over an hour until our movie time. It's amazing how quickly time goes by while looking at books in a bookstore. We haven't spent as much time as I'd like to these last few months working on learning baby signs, so we sat down with a baby signs book signing back and forth to each other. We can sign and recognize more, milk, eat, drink, dog, hurt, juice, need diaper change, cookie, help, no, yes, apple, banana, and that's about all I can think of that I KNOW we know. For anyone not familiar with baby signing, it's based on ASL but made a little more simple for young children. You use the signs when you talk to your baby about what they want and what you wants. The children will pick up signs much more quickly than they learn words. By using signs, we hope that Hannah Claire will be able to express herself more quickly and feel comforted that we can take care of her needs and make her feel secure.

We're also reading books on photographing babies. It's been a month since our last update on Hannah Claire. We're hoping to hear something about our photogenic little dumpling this month and not be skipped over again. I really want to hear confirmation that she's sitting up, and wonder about what solid foods she's been introduced to already... longing to take pictures of a messy Hannah Claire with multicolored baby food splattered all over.

15 comments:

  1. Kudos to hubby for date night! And also to you two for learning signs. We did some of those basic ones with both our kids until they became more verbal. We still use some signs during times when they aren't supposed to be heard (church, me on the phone, etc). It is time well spent, I think, and I'm convinced it helped alleviate some of that frustration kids have when trying to communicate. Good luck. And I hope you get some updated photos soon - preferably the ones you got to take yourself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, I just love your blog and finally watched the video of the plum tree today. How precious. Love the scriptures above it. Hannah Claire is beautiful! Have a great Lord's Day!
    Kam Roberts

    and oh, I LOVE your new design! Don't ya just love
    fall?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new blogover!! Fall is my favorite time of year, so I love the kit you used.

    Your date sounds like our dates - dinner, a book store and a movie. That reminds me... I need to call the babysitter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guys absolutely love the Baby Signing Time DVDs. Finn will sign "baby signing time" and run to the TV. they both understand all the signs, but only use a few. I'd still say it's fun to learn and I do much better with the videos than the books!

    Hope you had a great date night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...we love Oleys!! Good job, Kevin taking Sarah on a date!!! You need to hang with Brad more often and rub off on him :) It gets harder with kids--having to line up a sitter an all!! Your fall colors look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great date! You will love the Mai Tei sweetie! I know.. Jer is turning three tomorrow and I still Mai Tei his 27 lb baby body!!!

    Sarah k
    Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet hubby!! Love the new blog look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look! Plus you had a date night... sooooo jealous! LOL! I'll have you know I updated (LOL!) and I also had a date night and actually saw a movie. Yep! I know its crazy isnt it! LOL!

    I can't wait to see messy pictures either and I hope you guys get updates with travel dates soon! Even if Im slow to comment Im always thinking of you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh nice blog Sarah!! :) I have been thinking about a fall facelift for mine... I am nuts over fall leaves, what a great kit you picked!

    Your date with Kevin sounds like so much fun. Andy and I need to go on one of those date thingies soon. Ha!

    I am very excited to see Hannah Claire with messy baby-food face, but probably not as excited as you & Kev are. :)

    xoxo
    R

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new look! Really LOVE it!
    I can assure you that your sweet angel hasn't been covered in all of these pretty colors and tastes. You will no doubt be the first ones to shower her with these delights. She will more than likely be getting her first taste of congee anytime now, and as soon as she can manipulate her little hands and get a rice cracker into her little mouth, they will give them to her all day long...
    She is going to love eating your homemade babyfoods Sarah. as a matter of fact, these look pretty tasty. I think I would eat these!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to be able to link to blogs when people leave comments! I've been thinking about you and wondering about how things are progressing. No court date yet? Hopefully I just missed seeing it, but if not, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Date nights are wonderful!

    (I like the Autumn feel your blog has taken on!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Multi-commenting since you did it to ME earlier. I was laughing picturing you & Kev signing to each other in Barnes & Noble. :) I wonder if any babies saw you and went, "HEY, those peeps know my language!!! They have COOKIES?? And HOW DO THEY KNOW I need a diaper change!!!"

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.P.S. But I would not wish a diaper change by Sarah on any baby. Except on Sarah's baby. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah- thank you for the well wishes. I can't get enough of your little Hannah's pictures. She is so adorable. I will be thinking of you and so hope that you receive an update soon. Can't wait to see new photos of that little face.

    All my best,
    Kerry M
    JOH mom

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!