Friday, July 20, 2007

v signs

Could anyone explain to me the hand gesture that looks like the peace sign to me here in the US to me? Why do a lot of Taiwanese flash the sign in pictures and what does it mean when they do that? Does it mean "I'm happy"? Just trying to understand, and I'd appreciate your answers in the comments section. Seems to be a trendy thing for the younger crowd. Thanks, guys!

Post edited Saturday, July 21st at 2:05pm.
I originally called this hand gesture a fob sign, as that's how I saw it described in lots of photo captions. Since then I've edited this post as I discovered that the term fob can mean "fresh off the boat" and can be used by some as an insult, but some Asian Americans use it with pride. No offense was meant by this post. I'm just trying to understand what this hand gesture means when used by lots smiling people in photos.

So far it seems like it's just something you do when you get your picture taken... like saying "cheese." I don't understand why I say cheese when I have my picture taken either. (shrug)

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know it was also called the "fob" sign, but I have wondered about the kids in referral photos flashing the sign, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since I am in my 40s I am long past being cool. Thus, I can't be relied on to know it's not a peace sign. However, when I googled it, it came up with a few FallOut Boy references...Maybe someone younger and, presumably, cooler could google it and interpret it for us all?

    Still very, very long past knowing anything cool or current,

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I understand it means "cheese!" The take my picture... cheese :) Grandma Penny remembered Laura talking about this a while ago.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure it means "Take my picture". No idea exactly what fob means as an abbreviation though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    I lived in Taichung Taiwan for 3 years and adopted my daughter there in 2004. ALL my students and adults alike do that 'fob' or 'peace' sign for pictures! We really still can't figure it out - it's a mystery!!! If I ever do learn what it means, I'll be sure to let you know:) Good luck with your adoption! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard the same thing, it means take my picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here at DisneyWorld , the great majority of Asian vacationers flass this sign. I've wondered this too, and have not asked why they do it for fear of offending someone.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always heard that it stood for victory... of course this is coming from a teacher that is Chinese (not Taiwanese)

    Who knows but even the itty bitty kids do it for pictures. I think its neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My relatives in Taiwan informed me it is the "Yeah" sign. People do it as part of the "pose". I think the trend started in the late 1980s.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!