Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bubble Tea

I first heard of Bubble Tea (also called Boba tea) while reading a Taiwan adoption blog. (Obviously, I do a lot of that nowadays.) Anyway, I've always wanted to try it, and decided to order an at home kit that we'll make when we celebrate our referral. Never heard of bubble tea or boba tea before?
According to Wikipedia: Bubble tea is a tea beverage that originated in Taiwan in the 1980s. The term "bubble" refers to the tapioca balls in the drink. These chewy tapioca balls, or "pearls," are consumed along with the beverage through a wide straw. Bubble tea is extremely popular in Asia, California, and Canada.
I've purchased two bubble tea kits, one for our family, and one for the gift basket for the winner in our "guess our referral date" game. That way, you can celebrate along with us from wherever you are. You'll have everything you need for a little bubble tea party: flavored mixes, two kids of tapioca balls, special cups, and wide straws.

Speaking of "wherever you are," I've been using Google Analytics on our blog for the last two weeks. It's fascinating to see that hits come from around the world. I've had hits from every continent except Antarctica. Cousin Jackie in the Peace Corps in Botswana helped take care of a hit from Africa. In the last two weeks I've had hits from 40 of 50 states. Even the the District of Colombia contributed hits. Yes, it's a small small world.

6 comments:

  1. Google Analytics is almost as addicting as adoption blogs. I'm not sure I've hit every state yet but definitely all continents. The keyword list is pretty neat too. I get a lot of people searching for "pedialite" in Chinese...

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of bubble tea and there's a place near us that I've heard we can get some, but I haven't ventured to try it. When you get that call you'll have to let us all know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubble tea is awesome!!! I've had it at a local Taiwanese restaurant and can't wait to try it in Taiwan. My favorite flavor was black tea with milk and almond-flavored syrup. I'm excited to hear how it comes out with the home kit -- where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's lots of places online that sell bubble tea kits. I ordered it online. Just google "bubble tea" and you'll find all sorts of people selling the powdered mixes. Several places had assortment packs. I bought mine from "bobateadirect."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will love it but I gotta say... those kits dont taste quite the same. You will have to try in Taiwan but I will worn you they are made w/ ice. So if you have a weak stomach (like my husband did) you might have issues latter in the night:) I of course had bubble tea everyday in Taiwan, brushed my teeth w/ their water & had no problems at all... I hope you like it & you know you can buy all the stuff to make it at most asian super markets? Let me know if you need anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read about problems with ice. I figure if all of these Taiwanese are drinking it and not getting sick, I'll give it a go... but I do indend on bringing a little pharmacy along with me just in case. It's not every day I can sample stinky tofu, bubble tea, and "chicken butt on a stick," right?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!