Thursday, May 17, 2007

stitches of love from Grandma Adrienne

I came home from work last night to find my husband Kevin and mother-in-law Adrienne working at the kitchen table with the sewing machine. Together they spent the day picking out a pattern then selecting fabric, ribbon, and buttons to make three little dresses. Kevin isn't doing the sewing, but liked the gadgety automatic button-holer feature on the sewing machine.

Dress number 1 is now finished. It is a jumper in deep red with red and gold ribbon in a Greek key pattern at the waist. It has a long ribbon bow in the back. The buttons to fasten the jumper have a Greek key design as well.

Dress number 2 is in progress. It is pink gingham with apple green ribbon bows on the shoulders. If you look at the pattern, the dress is the largest featured on the front. Adrienne may add green ribbon at the bottom hemline and some lace that peeks out from the underskirt.

Dress number 3 is an Asian inspired red brocade and will have gold ribbon. Very fancy, and just perfect for Chinese New Year parties!

My mother came over tonight and exclaimed, "It's a jumping dress!" When I was a toddler and wore "jumpers" I thought that meant that one was supposed to jump up and down when you wear a jumper. Apparently my parents thought that was pretty funny and didn't correct me, allowing me to jump around in public in my "jumpers." Great... thanks, Mom and Dad.

7 comments:

  1. The dresses are beautiful! You will have quite a fashionista on your hands! I love watching all your "retail therapy"....it is a big help, isn't it?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "jumper" story! Just the kind of things parents are supposed to do. :-) I try to write down all our kids "sillies" and we've already had great fun telling our older two some of the stuff they've said/ done at younger ages.

    Tisra
    mommy to three: ages 6, 4, 2 and waiting for referral on child #4 from Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got our frog scoop today! That is just absolutely too nice of you! Thanks! We'll use it often I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely color choice for dress 1! WIl your Mom sew a 100 good wishes quilt for you? Vonne Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completed Dress #1 is just adorable! LOL! I love anything with a Greek Key design. (I love anything Greek...hense my husband. LOL!)I tell him he doesnt look it but he can cook it. (Ha ha ha) OK now Im getting way off subject here:) All I can say is it looks like MIL & hubby have got some skills!

    Oh & Sedona looks like quite the model:) To Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may sound stupid, but can I ask what a 100 good wishes quilt is? It sounds like a lovely quilt. The dresses are really cute too.
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeri,
    Here's a link to read about 100 Good Wishes Quilts. These seem to be really popular with people adopting from China.
    http://originalquilts.com/100_good_wishes_quilts.htm

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!