Thursday, March 15, 2007

star anise *does not equal* anise seed

Now I know why the tea eggs that I made weren't quite right. Although my tea eggs were very pretty, they didn't taste much different than plain old hardboiled eggs. I started reading a little more about the star anise spice today, and learned that star anise is much stronger than Spanish anise seed. I've ordered six ounces of star anise online as it could only cost $3 more than a one ounce shaker. I hope to be back in the kitchen making another batch of tea eggs in a few weeks. If you want any star anise, please come knocking on my door. I'll have more than plenty to share!

"Star Anise is a spice consisting of the dried, star-shaped fruits of a slender evergreen that is a member of the Magnolia family and native to China. Although flavored by the same oil, anethole, as anise seed, the two spices are unrelated. The eight to twelve pointed star anise imparts a much stronger, sweeter licorice flavor than do Spanish anise seeds. It is one of the flavors in Chinese five spice and is used widely in cooking and in flavoring tea in Asia. Star anise is used in roasted meats; it heightens the flavor of stewed fruits, pies and other desserts."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping busy! Since you are experimenting with star anise this is a good recipe for Thai Tea http://www.blueray.com/thaitea/recipes.html

    Or the much easier way to make it http://www.recipegal.com/thai-tea/Thai-Iced-Tea.html

    If you havent tried Thai Tea yet then you need to...I get cravings for it in the middle of the night. Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!