Friday, May 8, 2009

Mirror, Mirror photofest

I often wonder what Hannah will be like as a grown woman. I think about her self-confidence growing up as a child that looks different than many of the children around her. I worry. I think about multi-cultural books, videos, foods, celebrations. Is once a week Chinese school enough? Should we find someone to give her private Mandarin lessons when she's school aged? It's hard enough to feel good about yourself as a teenage girl as your body changes, you break out with pimples, and you worry about being liked enough by your friends 24-7. Throw international adoptee into the mix and it could be a big deal... or it could very much not be one.

Remember to find yourself a copy of Mei-Ling Hopgood's memoir "Lucky Girl" and have it read by the end of Memorial Day weekend. My bloggy friend Judy and I will moderate the book discussion. I've been e-mailing a few other Taiwan adoptive mamas about some topics in the book already, and know that several of you are really looking forward to a discussion. CLICK HERE to read the original post about the book discussion challenge for more information.

These photos were taken in a bathroom at the Hyatt in Indianapolis Tuesday night. I had Hannah sitting on the counter top while I was brushing her hair getting ready to go out for dinner. She likes to look at herself in the mirror, so I just let her go at it. She was being so funny just laughing, pointing, and talking to herself that I grabbed the camera, asked Kevin to spot her to make sure she didn't fall over, and started clicking away. The self-love got kinda crazy at the end... you'll see.

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, Who is the silliest baby of them all?
It's Hannah baby!

mirror mirror 5

mirror mirror 3

mirror mirror 7

mirror mirror 1

mirror mirror 8

mirror mirror 2
Licking the mirror?!?!
Doesn't this shot make you wonder what in the world she's thinking?
Yes, baby. You're sweet. Mama thinks so too.

mirror mirror 6

mirror mirror 4

Happy Mother's Day to all of the first time mamas out there! Whoop whoop!

To those still waiting for a positive test, struggling to get through a first trimester, or for adoption referrals, I've felt your hurt and know your pain. I know there's no words I could give to comfort you... but keep going. It feels like you keep jumping through hoops and you don't get anywhere a lot of the time, but eventually you could jump though that hoop that makes you a mother, a foster mother, or a mentor that changes the life of a child forever. At the end of the road, you'll most likely discover that you're stronger than you ever knew.

10 comments:

  1. Those pics are precious!!!LOVE them!!!
    What a creative idea...
    Have a wonderful long awaited Mother's Day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy mother's day to ya~

    Hannah must be also thinking she is so sweet that she want to lick herself!

    loves the dimple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! I've been thinking about you and wanted to say Happy First Mama's Day to you! Congratulations! You've made it girlfriend! Enjoy every minute of it! Love the shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to stop by and say Happy 1st Mother's Day, Sarah! I hope it's the best one ever! She is beautiful and you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you don't know me, but I have been following your blog and have commented before! I like to keep up with you because Hannah and my daughter Brynn are the same age. It's fun to see that they are doing the same things. Brynn was scared of her shadow all week--has Hannah been through that yet? So funny! And I know you like Hello Kitty stuff and so when I bought new band-aids last week, I picked the HK ones and thought about Hannah! Thanks for letting me keep up with you! She's the cutest little thing--except for Brynn, of course! lol
    Charloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about you alot and I wanted to wish Happy Mother's day to you! You will never forget your first one :)

    ps- can that baby of yours get any cuter??? I can't get enough of her licking the mirror- so funny! That is a pic to show the boyfriends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy first Mother's Day!!!! What a beautiful post. Hannah seems to think she's beautiful too!!! And she's right!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to start listing which ones were my favorite (I LOVE #3!) but then I realized the list was like, ALL OF THEM! She's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long distance love?

    Was watching the video with Ryan in my arms when he started to wave at the photo of Hannah on the left (that says "Hi!"). Waving wasn't enough so he leaned in & started kissing her! Three times! He would have kept going, but my arms were getting tired & my screen was getting slobbery. Beautiful girl you have there, even Ryan can see that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,
    Hannah is one CUTE baby girl!!!! Those mirror pics are priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!