Thursday, March 26, 2009

backyard ballerina

A little box with photography supplies arrived at our doorstep yesterday. I've been wanting a VALUE priced portrait lens with a more narrow depth of field that could produce some bokeh. Kevin and I experimented with the new lens, a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, for a little while today with a little ballerina as our subject. I was in portrait mode, and was having problems with the new lens getting the auto focus to focus on Hannah's face. It seemed like the camera wanted to pick out everything BUT her face to focus on. After looking at my photos, Kevin showed me how to change the manual AF point selection to a specific point, so I'll have to use that next time I use this lens again. It was barely 60F when we went outside for this photo below, so I only had a few minutes to shoot before I needed to bring the beach baby back inside. I'm looking forward to warm sunny days this summer when I have lots of time to work on good shots outside without worrying about Hannah getting cold.

backyard ballerina


backyard ballerina 2

Kevin bought some Jello Pudding Pops for us to try with Hannah at home. I stripped the beach baby down nekked and let her go to town on a vanilla pop. She her mouth was like a little bird reaching for more. It was a big mess... but lots of fun... and she ate the whole thing!

first popsickle

16 comments:

  1. Sarah--you are an amazing photographer! Seriously, you need to get a pricelist put together and start a business! I'll be your first customer!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I so want to learn......

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRECIOUS!!!
    LOVE SOME PUDDIN' POPS!!!!
    The TUTU is ADORABLE.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah these are great!!! I love that first one! She is the cutest little ballerina EVER. :) You will love your 50mm, just be aware you'll probably never put your camera down now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new suit Mama! You have such good taste... I think Sarah & Marina have one like that too... Poor Allie, stuck with Target or Gymboree this year! LOL I guess I should be getting on that, huh? Hmmmm it does look like a good day for the shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticed it's the 85mm 1.8, not the 50mm 1.8. :) Duh. Anyways, same concept... you will dig the portrait lens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! And who can resist pudding pops ? No One !! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I understood the photography language. I'm stuck in auto mode. I always try to go manual or in the semi-manual modes, and I can't seem to get it right - always overexposed, or blurry. . .I'm starting to give up! And I just started to try to learn. You need to start giving us all lessons! What a gorgeous and yummy ballerina you have. Can't wait until you try a RED popsicle and her mouth stays pink for a day or two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I love the pictures! And I love her swimsuit! Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the difference between the 85mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8?? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought that same bathing suit on EBAY for my 2 daughters - can't wait for them to wear them this summer.
    Cute pics! I too can't wait for the warm summer days-ugh! Chicago is so freakin cold all the time! haha!
    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  11. For Julie W.,

    50mm vs 85mm is the focal length. Here's a link to read about focal length: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

    I chose to get an 85mm lens because 1) my dad has a 50mm lens from an older Canon film SLC that will work on my camera 2) 85-135 is traditional length for potrait photography.

    Here's a link to a great site that reviews products. This link is specifically Canon Portrait Lens Recommendations. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole, I bought the tutu suit in eBay as well! There's all sorts of great deals (well, relatively... as Kate Mack is pricey) on Ebay for these suits. I love the Kate Mack suits with cherries on them as well. Have you seen those???

    ReplyDelete
  13. the photos you took are amazing! HC looks super CUTE in her ballet suit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My Goodness!!! That ballet outfit is THE cutest! I love her face in the first pic. :)
    Holli

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!