Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm lovin' it.

I'm lovin' it.

As a child I had a toy McDonald's restaurant, and some pieces from it are still around at Nana and Grandpa's house. I get a kick out of watching Hannah eat the McDonalds sign. She had french fries twice this week, McDonalds fries on Valentine's Day and Wendy's fries tonight. Her little pincher grasp sure likes to hold on to a fry. Sedona is ready to steal Hannah's fries right out of her hand if Mama isn't watching!

potty girl

Along with my old toys is a little people potty. Hannah liked opening the lid, closing the lid, AND putting the toilet in her mouth, of course. Little did I know... a 13 month old can have a little potty mouth! And, Dani... this bow was added just for you.

daddy's scratchy face

Hannah's good mood has been increasing all week long and we're having less and less cries for Mama when Daddy is holding her. Tonight Daddy put stick on earrings on Hannah's ears that HE BOUGHT. Hannah likes sticking her fingers in his mouth and exploring his scratchy face.


We had our first appointment at our local pediatrician's office this week. Because of our extended release version of the stomach flu, her weight has a net gain of basically ZERO since she's been with us for seven weeks. In a way, this makes me feel soooooooo bad. I feel like I have so much to live up to... we've been given the gift of this child and all of the responsibility that comes with caring for her... and like I'm letting everyone down because my micro baby didn't gain weight. My head tells me that's crazy talk and this is to be expected for a baby that puked for five days straight, lived off Pedialyte and juice, and took a week to get her appetite back... but I still feel really badly about it. Hannah had two shots and a TB test, cried big tears, but settled down right away after she was back in Mama's arms. Mama had to work that night, and Daddy said that she was fine and the shots didn't make her fussy. We go back next week for two more, and then back in two months for a developmental check (aka make sure that we're feeding her and she's gaining weight check).

Hannah fills out 3-6 month clothes well except the pants are too long. Six month items best but a little loose in the waist, and she swims in 6-9 month sizes. A couple of weeks ago I packed away everything 18 months plus (that's nearly half her closet) into storage boxes. It's going to be a long time before we get there!

New foods this week include peas, biter biscuits, and Nana's yummy broccoli soup. Yummm... I love Nana's broccoli soup, too.

Okay, now to the juicy part. I've been wanting to write about this for some time. When reading adoption blogs, I've read others write about how meeting their child was like love at first sight... and was a magical experience. Well, I wanted to put it out there that it was not that way for me. I felt like I was babysitting this really cute baby for several weeks, but that it was someone else's baby. Hours became days, and days became weeks, and now weeks are becoming months. The love I feel for my daughter grows a little each day... and it feels less and less and less like babysitting all of the time. She reaches for me. She mimics me. She waves at me in the mirror. When she's hurt, she stops crying when I hold her. I really feel like Hannah's mama now, but it didn't happen right away. For those of you waiting to meet your child, know that it's okay if the moment you meet your child doesn't make you feel connected and all flowery inside. The connection that you feel between you and your child will grow with time. I'm lovin' it.

shades

15 comments:

  1. I love the McDonalds toy. I'm glad you posted so honestly about bonding. I didn't go through that but I know a lot of adoptive moms do. A friend of mine that just got her baby is going through that now and is having such a hard time. I'm glad you are feeling the love now - she is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way with Braylen!! Not so with Alea, we bonded right away (Brad had opposite experiences!!). Maybe with Alea it was because I felt comfortable being Mommy, I don't know! I knew I loved her so much, but I can identify with the babysitting feeling, though when I held neices and nephews that before Braylen had been my life, I felt more love towards Braylen and that helped me adjust. Good job sharing this. Brad and I try to share these things with others that we talk to!! One thing we did realize right away when we met both our girls was the miracle of adoption though. The realization that this baby we had dreamed about, prayed for, stared at pictures for months of, was finally in our arms and that of all the mommies and daddies in the world we were chosen to be hers!! That is the miracle of adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, just wanted to share that even Moms that gave birth often feel exactly as you did upon first meeting your little girl. It often takes some time for the bonding to occur and then you literally fall in love with your child, whether biological or not. So your feelings are entirely normal. As a parent of both a biological child and an adopted child it took me a little while to bond with each one and then it was pure love. And don't feel bad about your little one not gaining weight, she certainly will with time and good health. :) The stomach flu is hard on little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that Hannah Claire hasn't lost any weight considering all she's been through. You're doing a great job helping her through her illness and you should be proud.

    Thanks for posting about your experience w/meeting your daughter. I have a feeling it will take the burden off of many APs who expect a slow-mo, run-through-the-flower-field-and-embrace sort of experience. In my opinion, whether you experience one or the other, it's all love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about weight gain. In the year and a half that Reed has been home, he's gained 6 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I agree with the her not losing weight after being so sick. Get over being so hard on yourself.

    And I think it is great that you posted about not feeling the insta-bond with her. Same with us. We were so anxious and so wanting and THOUGHT we'd instantly fall in love. I got so concerned cuz with my bio child, I felt like I would take a bullet for him from the second I laid eyes on him. The bond took longer with our adopted child.

    But at this point, (a year later), I'd take a bullet for her too. She fills my heart to overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you know what size dress to get her (specifically that beautiful red dressy one from Carters.) I would have guessed and bought like a size 12 months or maybe a 9 months, but then she would have swam...

    She is gorgeous!! Can hardly wait to see what pearly whites do to that smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I get ya on the Judy K's "flower field love fest" expression. When I birthed my first child... I thought "this isn't supposed to feel like this." Went through the motions and did everything I was supposed to but it took a while to really have "fun" and be "comfortable" in it all. p.s. I got to a regrets phase because I felt that way back then with Nika, if that comes to you, know it's normal & then don't feel bad; it was a necessary process to learn and grow from. =0)

    It is perfect that you have said this... why because you are now mom! You can honestly talk to us about Mom stuff and actually be going through it. Your dreams of feeling mom stuff are here!

    Congrats that little one is hanging tough! Now take a deep breath sugar & know we are so not judging ya. =0) Love ya, Sara. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anon, I charted/obsessed about Hannah's monthly stats while we waited to bring her home, so I knew how much she weighed. My friend KB brought Hannah a cute pair of polka dotted jammies in November that were size 6 months and they looked just a little big, so we knew that 6 months should be just about right when we brought the red Carter's dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I would give anything to have my old McDonalds toy!!! I loved that thing and could just scream at my mom for throwing it away...
    MMMOOOMMMM! Why did you throw my toys away?????!!!! Because of that, I save practically all of my kids toys. Good thing we have a large basement!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah,

    Thank you. I don't know what category I'll fall in when we go to pick up Dorothy, but I'll allow myself grace for either response (flower fields or "permanent babysitter").

    Remember that your Little Micro Hannah is MUCH better off than if she'd had the flu in the orphanage. While she might be a *zero gain* now, she would have surely been in the negative if she didn't have Mommy and Daddy's great loving care. You guys are doing a wonderful job!

    Tisra
    http://lifetrain.blogspot.com
    www.tisrafadelyoriginals.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sarah-
    Thank you for sharing your experience falling in love with Hannah Claire. You are always so honest and generous with your experiences and feelings. I have 3 bio children and experienced the same feelings with them as well. You really have to get to know them! I expect to feel the same way when I meet my daughter in Taiwan for the first time.
    Robin

    ps. I added your bloglink to my blog. Please let me know if that is not okay with you.
    "Three boys and a little lady"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, I know what you mean about obsessing about the weight. Lucy has barely gained two pounds and has been home 5.5 mos. I ask the doc regularly and they don't seem to be concerned at this point. I know she's two and they tend to gain less at this age but still, as her mama, I worry.

    As far as "babysitting," that's the best way to describe it. You nailed it. But you're right, it gets better all the time. You'll start to forget life existed before her. Thanks for being open. Those who were honest before me are the ones who have become great friends. It's important to have a source of reality out there in adoptionville.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you on the babysitting thing. I bonded right away with our son, home at 5.5 months old. With our daughter, home at 9 months old it took a long time. We are getting there, day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for being honest about your first experience with Hannah. As you know it wasn't all roses in the least with either kid, although Jia was especially tough. Sounds like you're making such wonderful progress!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!