Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Visiting with Lora and Allie

Today Hannah and I set off for a play date at Lora and Allie's house. Hannah Claire and Allie lived at the same orphanage in Taiwan at overlapping times, but they're far enough apart in age that they wouldn't have had any interaction with each other. I think that it's pretty neat that we don't live all that far away from each other.

Lora beat me to the punch and posted about our day together already. Heehee! Go ahead to her blog first (click here) and you can see her photos of our day together.

Anyhow... here's a little part of the story that makes my connection with Lora extra special. The week that we got Hannah Claire's referral, I spilled the beans to Lora about the match. She just knew that something was up and teased me until I told her what was going on. We messaged each other back and forth online and I revealed that Hannah Claire was an itty bitty preemie. Lora had recently visited the nursery, and messaged back that she thought she's seen my baby! Well, of course I called her on the phone right away, and after sharing a photo we knew that the baby she remembered was our very own Hannah Claire! When in Taiwan, Lora remarked to the nannies that this one baby looked "no bigger than a ruler" and she was able to watch her for a little while. I'll be forever greatful to Lora for sharing this special "little" story about seeing Hannah... even before we ever knew about her.

Today there was 2-5" of snow in the forecast. I wasn't worried about driving as it was too cold for sleet and freezing rain, and it wasn't going to be enough snow that would be hard for the plows. I bundled up Hannah Claire in our warmest blanket, packed her little snowsuit just in case we'd have a car problem, lugged the diaper bag and two cameras... and we're off! It took me 45 minutes to get myself ready, and another 42 minutes to get her awake, fed, clean, diapered, dressed, bundled, happy, and secured.

2009-01-14_15-25-50_Canon PowerShot A570 IS

2009-01-14_15-07-22_Canon PowerShot A570 IS
The weather concerned Nana enough to make her call this afternoon to make sure that we made it home safe. Lora called too, just checking on us. I think Hannah Claire slept in the car the entire time there and back. I heard her stir a couple of times, but there was no crying at all. Humm... after looking at these photos, maybe I was just enjoying a coffee buzz thinking... hey, it's all warm here in the car. Feels good with the heater blowing on my feet, too!

2009-01-14_12-48-19_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-48-09_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Is this a pacifier clip, or a leash?

2009-01-14_12-46-08_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-46-07_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Allie was so good with Hannah Claire. She seemed to sense that she was "a baby" and was someone that she needed to be gentle with. When Allie first saw Hannah, she bent over and cocked her head to the side to get a good look at her face. She smiled and waved to Hannah, and tapped her a little bit to say hi. Allie shared her toys so well, and her mommy should be so proud of her sharing skills today! Allie seemed to understand everything we said and used several words with me. I gave her a Baby Mum-mum rice cracker wrapper, and asked her to take it to her mommy. She took it to Mommy, and Mommy told her to put it in the trash. Allie was so happy to be helpful and put it in the trash and had the biggest grin on her face.

2009-01-14_12-43-44_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-43-40_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-42-10_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-41-06_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-39-52_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-40-14_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_10-27-18_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-39-36_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-38-42_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-47-45_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-47-31_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

2009-01-14_12-47-49_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Getting two babies to look at the camera at the same time is tougher than herding cats. Thanks for inviting us over to play today, ladies! We had a great time! Next time we'll have to have a tea party. :)

10 comments:

  1. looks like a fun time! let's see some photos of you mama with your little girl!!!

    It looks like you're enjoying every minute of these first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah--You don't know me, but I have been following your blog for awhile now. Congrats on finally getting Hannah home. She is beautiful and I think she looks so much like your husband. She's just so cute. Again, congrats.
    Charloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah--I wondered why you were heading back to work in a few weeks! Glad Kevin gets to stay home and be a house-husband! I spent a summer in Shanghai, China so it was extra fun to keep up with your blog while you were in Taiwan. What an amazing experience that you will be able to share with Hannah someday. Thanks for commenting back!
    Charloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cool... Glad it was a good day.. next time.. to get both girls attention easily.. take a squeakie dog or baby toy and squeak it up so they have to look above your camera OR you can squeak it at them and let the air get their face a little and that works wonders too. Lastly.. play peak a boo with a book or wave air at them then make a clicking noise with your toung.. lol.. (sorry.. professional photographer years coming out in me again..lol can anyone say "Lifetouch?"..lol and PCA?)....You should have seen all the times I had to put Elmo on my head and sneeze so he'd fall off to get a laugh!!!!! UGH! Anyways, Great pictures and is Miss Hannah coming down with a cold?? I love Hannah's facial expressions.. they are older than her age.. that is soo cool. I think you have a smart one on your hands Sarah. VERY SMART!

    Sarah k
    Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like the girls had a ton of fun. I love their outfits!
    Are you enjoying this COLD weather we are having? I'm freezing and ready for summer!
    My son (from Guatemala) was a preemie also, 3 lbs and 6 oz. He just turned four and only weighs 32 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful girls day out! Allie and Hannah are such dolls! I'm with Jackie - let's see some more photos of you and Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I just found your blog from the link on wepicture{this}...I'll have some catching up to do! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful! She has about three times the hair our Caroline has at three!

    I was reading the comments from Rebecca's blog, and I noticed you mentioned the Hoosier state! We live here, too! Email me if you get a chance at martenspack@yahoo.com, and maybe we can meet sometime!

    Well, big kids are off to school, Caroline is at Grandma's next door, and I am off to take a shower! Nice to officially "meet" you...I look forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Car ride conquered ~ check!
    Car ride conquered in rough weather ~ Big check! :-)
    Your play date looks like so much fun, for the girls and the moms, who had as much fun watching as the girls did playing. Hannah is so happy and cute. Your pictures are good too! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,
    We really enjoyed ourselves too!
    Thanks again for making the haul down here to visit with us. If you would like to copy the photo of you and Hannah from my blog and use it on yours, please feel free to do so. I would have posted another, but it was too blurred. Have Kevin take some more pics of you and Hannah together to make these ladies happy. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!