Saturday, January 17, 2009

finding the pieces

Over the last week, I think we're really starting to see Hannah Claire's little personality come out. Generally, she's a very laid back but curious baby. When she's upset, there's a reason for it. She likes to babble, read books with others, and play independently. In small groups or one-on-one, she makes cheesy grins and grunts at others to get your attention and to have you make funny faces back at her. In larger groups she's quiet and curious, her little head moving around to check out all of the faces and hear all of the sounds.

puzzle1

As a testimony to how easy going she is, she always sleeps in the car... no matter what time it is. She's fine if her nap is delayed, and as long as she's being stimulated she won't fuss for a few hours. She likes baths, likes having lotion put on her, and really likes her rice crackers. With Gerber baby food she's a veggie girl and gets most excited about peas, green beans, and sweet potatoes... not so much a fan of applesauce and baby food peaches. Daddy made "peaches and cream cereal" two days ago with canned peaches, formula, and rice cereal... and that was a huge it. Yesterday daddy made smoothie with frozen blackberries (seeds strained) and she really liked that. Can't wait to see what colors of poo we'll see today.

puzzle2

Three days ago I taught Hannah how give a high-five, and she picked up on that in just a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, Sedona doesn't understand why I'm talking to the baby and not the babydog when I use the word "give me five" over, and over, and over. Sedona knows a lot of the phrases that we use with Hannah like give me five, no, stay, come here... and seems confused. We're working on waving bye-bye right now. She has started crawling towards us and putting up her hands to be picked up. She does this with Nana (my mother), Kevin, and me. Nana's been spending lots of time playing with Hannah Claire on snowy mornings. It gives Mama and Daddy a nice break to take showers, fold laundry, and clean up the kitchen.

puzzle3

Only in the last few days Hannah Claire has started voicing a preference to be held by me rather than Kevin. She'll cry for me when I do the baby hand off. She'll be content with him and will see me walk through the room, and will start fussing for me. I think this is because I've spent more time playing eye-contact names and singing with her than Kevin has. He thinks it's because he's the one that has done more snot sucking torture with the bulb syringe and thinks she resents him for it. The new deal is that I do the bad cop stuff like nose wiping and using the bulb syringe where he gets to give all of the bottles. I'm encouraging him to try some patty cake, but Kevin's a lot more interested in interactive toddler play than baby play where you're not quite sure if she's really listening to you or not.

2009-01-16_13-07-27_Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

We're figuring it out, and realizing that she's easygoing... but it's just really hard jumping into being a first time parent.

11 comments:

  1. Your post is so insightful. It really is true that getting to know someone is just like trying to figure out what pieces to use and where to put them. I can only imagine that having a new baby is a puzzle on a grand scale. I love this post.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you guys are doing just great!! I very well remember when we first brought Braylen home, I was sooooo excited, had a million expectations and was soooo jet lagged and TIRED! I almost fell into a "funk" for about a month or so trying to figure out why I wasn't as happy as I thought I'd be. I then realized I was happy, I was just tired, concerned, worried, overwhelmed with "AM I DOING THIS ALL RIGHT??" "Can I really be a good mommy?" Once I realized that Yes, I am going to fail once or twice :) but I am a good mommy and what this little princess needs most in life, she already has: A FOREVER FAMILY and Lots of Lovins!! Remember that that week!!

    Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you that she's pretty easygoing. It's hard being a first time parent to an infant rather than a newborn. (not to say a newborn isn't hard).
    Ava was nine months old when she came home and it was hard (still is sometimes). She already had her likes and dislikes and we had to figure them out. She was the same way with my husband Cory. It gets better, have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are well-educated and as-prepared-as-you-can-be for this huge upheaval. Most first time parents would say that the first *year* is a serious adjustment. I know I didn't get my groove until at LEAST his six month birthday! SO, you're doing FABULOUSLY even if there are days you don't shower and the dishes are ceiling-high. The good thing is that you three get to figure it out TOGETHER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you forgot to mention that she can sleep through the night! (hee-hee.) You and Kevin are both doing a GREAT job, don't even think about second guessing yourselves. I'm going to add my two cents about 1 thing. I do think that there should be at least 1 bottle a day that she can rely on Mama for. Bottle time is one of the most intimate times for Mama and baby... It's in the book!
    Lol! She is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are doing great! As for the mommy/daddy preference thing, kids go through phases all the time. . .and it keeps going well beyond the first year. Our daughter was most recently in a mama-phase, even though I am the one holding her down for eye drops and sucking the icky stuff from her nose...maybe it's something along the lines of "the grass is always greener..." - she wants whoever she doesnt' have right now ;)

    Cindy
    http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,
    I think Hannah is pure joy! We received our referral on Christmas Day for a 4 month old in Taiwan! I have enjoyed reading your story while trying to prepare to bring our Kaylee home.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that photo puzzle thing you did. How did you do that? Sounds like things are going well for you guys! We're back from Taiwan. Thanks for all your comments. I thought of you guys a lot in Taiwan. In fact, I swear we had the same crib you guys did at the Hyatt. I was showing my mom your blog and there was a photo of the crib and it had the same markings. I thought "Wow, Hannah Claire slept here!!". haha. Holli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holli, Heehee... how funny that we had the same crib!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so great to see you evolving as a Mother. It will come, your instincts are so right on. Listen to her...but be rational with your gut. I believe HC is the best dressed baby in the world. I can't love those dimples more.

    Now it is our turn. We hope to travel to get our son in early March. I would love to know your input about the adoption fare from norwest. Were you really pleasee with it? Thanks so much for allowing us all to watch your journey. You have such a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are doing a great job - and figuring things out so quickly! Just keep doing what you're doing. It's a great post - too cute with the puzzle pieces coming into place. Have fun! Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!