Tuesday, December 30, 2008

AIT grumble grumble grumble...

This morning when we arrived at AIT for our visa interview, they had all of our documents ahead of time. We paid $50 to UPS AIT our I-864, DS-230, I-600, and last year's tax returns and W2s. When we arrived they asked me for our documents. I'm like... uh... you have those already. I UPSed them to you. The woman went through our file again and didn't see them. I even had the UPS tracking number and receipt to show them that they received them. I went through my big pink binder as I had backup copies of everything, or so I thought. I didn't make copies of the immigration forms, but I brought the tax records. I guess I didn't make copies because I knew they already had them. The woman left the window for about 10-15 minutes and came back with a supervisor. They could not find our mailing. Well, I had the files saved on my laptop back at the hotel. I left Kevin and Squirmy at AIT while I took a taxi by myself (Yes, by myself! I'm feeling like quite a city girl hailing my first cab. We don't have cabs in the cornfields where I come from.) back to the hotel, e-mailed the documents to AIT, and went to the business center at the hotel to print the documents out. I had a staffer help me save the documents on a USB thumb drive and then she could print them out for me. Well, wouldn't you know it... one of the PDF files wouldn't open on 3 of her computers, but it opened just fine on mine. After 20 minutes of trying to get this to work over and over, we decided to try another computer lab. We went to the one on the first floor and were able to open the file and print no problem. I was so stressed at this point! ACK!!!!!!! Anyway, I now had all of my documents, grabbed a cab back to AIT, went through security, checked my laptop at the door (can't bring it in... I might be a terrorist after all), walked back up to the third floor, and they saw me right away and motioned for us to come over. The supervisor got my e-mail, had printed everything out, had us resign all of our documents, and then we waited for our appointment. All were were asked was what we did for a living (uh, it's in the paperwork, dude) and how our daughter is doing. We had fun unzipping her jacket to show of her white tank top with red sparkling letters that says, "I love the USA." Aw... that got a chuckle out of the guy. He said that this is the best part of our job. AND... we're getting an IR-3, so Miss Hannah will become a US citizen when we land in Detroit. YAY! Anyway... lesson learned. Don't trust government offices. Even if you gave them everything they need, something will get screwed up and you'll need to provide it to them again while standing on one leg, rubbing you belly, and patting your head.

16 comments:

  1. Ai-yo! What a nightmare! I'm glad everything was fixed and that you walked away with an IR-3 for all your troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are officially freaking me out. I just know something like this will happen to us in China. ARGH!!! My stomach was in knots just reading about the whole thing. I'm glad it was straightened out! Note to self: PACK COPIES OF EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh- why does it always have to be so complicated?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What drama!!! Glad you figured it all out - and what adorable photos of your girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    Our AIT nightmare started after we touched down in LA...we made it home without a single document that said Maya was ours! Don't mess with the brown envelope, but go through everything to make sure you have all your paperwork back and especially make sure you have the change of household paper...can't remember what it is called it has been so long...turns out after many stess filled weeks of searching and emailing AIT who could not find our documents...Laura even had to get involved...the couple we traveled with finally went through their paperwork and ours was with theirs.
    it worked out, but it was not fun! I am so glad things worked out for you miss city girl!
    Janalee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home of God's Love told us that this happens often at AIT! They advised us to email and call them to verify they had it a few days before we left. I did and they had it and we had no problems. When we went to the embassy to get clearance to bring Braylen home, though, quite a different story!! Brad had left to come home early and I had a power of attorney to sign for him in his absence. The Embassy would not accept that, said he had to be there! He was in USA--we were in Kaz with a plane leaving for home in 18 hours! They said they could fax him the form, but he would have to fed ex it back, no fax copies (get this--he didn't even have to have it notarized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had I known that I would have forged his freakin name!!) so....we were in country an additional 6 days waiting on documents. After having been there for 5 1/2 weeks, we were distraught to say the least! But....I wouldn't trade Braylen for anything--she was worth it. I tell everyone I was in labor for her for 6 1/2 weeks!!!

    Glad it all worked out for you and I cannot believe you took a cab by yourself! I for sure would have had Brad do all that running, expecially up all the flights of steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Let's make an arranged marriage between Owen & Hannah Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,
    I see that you got the AIT secret! Yay. Sorry for the big deal there at AIT, to those reading ALWAYS MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!! And carry it with you religiously to AIT. AND leave one at home with someone reliable. I am so glad that you had it on the computer. That could have been really bad for you guys!! Oh well, diverted!

    Sarah k

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! Could that BE any more stressful?? I was stressed out just reading it! Foreign country, squirmy new baby, government officials, computers that won't print...AYE! I'm so glad it had a happy ending.
    Be blessed-- she's YOURS and you're coming home (in a few days)!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! LOVE IT!
    Every adoption trip has to have ONE
    "guess what happened to us" story..Uhhh..I think that one is yours!

    I would have loved to see you flashing around Taipei like Wonder Woman with a laptop!
    GOT TO POST A PICTURE OF HC IN THE*USA* T-shirt!

    kisses,

    A

    ReplyDelete
  11. ODG! I am so proud of you for holding it together and getting all of this taken care of. How stressful was YOUR day!?! Holy Cow, I'm still sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.
    Glad that is OVERWITH. Sure bet you could use a drink right now, that is if you drink...LOL. It stressed me out so bad reading your post I had to pour me a glass of wine. I'll drink two if it will ease your pain. LOL.
    Still smiling at all of those cute photos of Miss Hannah. She is such a doll and there couldn't be a better fit. She was so meant to by yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW ! What a mess to deal with. BIG NOTE to add to the packing list, "make extra, extra copies everywhere, suitcase, home, email, etc." So glad to hear that it worked out for you and you took the taxi too!! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!! Aawwww Hannah is gorgeous and so happy!! Have fun with the new "firsts" and Enjoy everyone of them ~ they are so worth it !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know, Sarah! What craziness, but it all worked out! The photos are great...Hannah is such a happy baby! You guys are doing great! (And who knew girls did that peeing thing, too? I found that out the hard way with my sons!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to me, Happy birthday to me...Happy big 3-0 birthday to me!! I saw the 30th up there for your last post and thought you might like a comment to remind you of your wonderful friend Kristy on your blog! HEHE! Feel free to not post this...So glad Hannah is in your arms on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I guess I was very naive about our AIT - I don't know if I would have done as well as you did. You are already showing what a great mama you are. GOOD JOG GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!