Wednesday, November 12, 2008

birthdays, bottles, and babies, and bunnies

Today is Kevin's 38th birthday... but he doesn't feel much like celebrating. It's hard to be happy these days when all we want to hear is good news from Taiwan. I had the day off work and we went to the "big town" for lunch and some shopping. I wonder if Kevin's feeling okay, because the first place he wanted to go to was Babies R Us. Not Circuit City, not Best Buy, not Game Stop... but Babies R Us. We hadn't bought any bottles yet, and Kevin decided that we needed some bottles. I had researched BPA free bottles at length and had already thought we'd use Born Free BPA free plastic bottles. Daddy and all of is military kitchen training asserts that glass is much cleaner than plastic, and that we should choose glass. Well, since Kevin's going to be the stay at home daddy and making and cleaning the bulk of the bottles... so what Daddy wants, Daddy gets. We're going to start out with three Born Free glass bottles and see how that goes. Of course, we'll get some bottles from the nursery when we pick up Hannah... but as we won't know if they are BPA free or not, we'd like to have these on hand and hope that she likes them.

After leaving Babies R Us, Kevin drove us over to the mall. We rarely go to the mall, so I wondered what he was interested in there today. Apparently, he had his sights on Build A Bear. I got teary eyed when I realized what store he was leading me by the hand to. He wanted to make a bear (or a kitty, or a bunny, or a puppy, or a dinosaur) for our little girl. We debated between a bear and a bunny for a while. I had a bunny named Mrs. Butterfly as a child that I really liked, so the bunny won out. We picked a voice box for her hand, kissed her heart, and got it thumping, and Kevin helped stuff her. We couldn't find any Asian looking clothes for the bunny, so a pink Hello Kitty t-shirt works.

2008-11-12_15-45-48_Canon PowerShot A570 IS_boostandsharpen



2008-11-12_15-45-56_Canon PowerShot A570 IS_boostandsharpen


Here's Sedona with the bunny. She'd like to hear some good news from Taiwan as well.


2008-11-12_21-03-28_Canon PowerShot A570 IS_cropped

Monday night we went out for Chinese. When we were nearly finished with dinner, a couple with an eleven month old baby beautiful baby girl sat near us. I couldn't help but stare, watching and listening to her blow raspberries and squeal while her daddy fed her from a few containers of baby food. It's almost like I physically could not pay attention to Kevin while he was trying to talk to me, as my eyes were glued on this little girl. After 10-15 minutes I couldn't take it any more. I started to get teared up and I wanted to leave… like now… and went on out to the car while Kevin chatted it up with some people before leaving. Watching this little girl was thrilling and “rip my heart out” painful at the same time. Went home. Cried it out. Bought two pink frilly dresses and a tutu swimsuit for Hannah Claire for next summer, and felt much better. Retail therapy saves the day again. (And on eBay you can find Biscotti dresses for 1/3 the retail price shipped from Hong Kong!)

I'm starting to look at the calendar and think that this may not happen before Christmas. That's going to be really hard for us. I'm trying to prepare myself for the holidays without her... giving myself pep talks about having Hannah Claire home just in time for her first birthday in late January isn't so bad.

Mom, do you still have the bunny birthday cake mold that you used for me I when I was little? I think we should make a bunny cake for a first birthday party. Even if the ears fall off and it won't stay upright propped with toothpicks, it will still be fun.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, I am thinking of you often. I WILL hunt down the judge and get a travel date this year for you from SLC. Love ya girl, talk to you soon!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... reading this, my heart aches right along with you. Come home soon, Hannah Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Kevin...I'm sorry you don't have your real present yet! We are praying you hear soon. Sorry I haven't gotten back with you on a date to go out together--we have been super busy. Maybe it will slow down soon???? I hope so! I cannot come to your shower, but I am mailing you a gift :) I'll email you when I ship it out so you can be looking for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I know it doesn't feel complete without Hannah Claire and that stinks. There is no way around it- it stinks!

    Sarah, as a mommy-to-be, the emotions are raging and you must feel like you are at the end of your strength and patience and sanity. From other adoptive parents, I hear that this is EXACTLY the time that the good news flows- when the rope's run out! I am praying that this is the case for you. Hannah needs to come home, and your arms are waiting. And when she joins you, it may not be all rosy and perfect, and she may need to adjust and grieve but at least you'll be walking through it TOGETHER and you'll have forever to do it!

    Soon. She's got to be on her way soon! C'mon judge!!!!

    Tisra
    waiting a wait of a different sort
    http://lifetrain.blogspot.com
    www.tisrafadelyoriginals.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days are harder than others huh? It's the not knowing when that kills you. If you just knew WHEN then you could be stronger and wait but the anticipation kills you. Meanwhile, back away from Build a Bear!!! You will be wondering why you spent time in there when you didn't have to soon! Go to an EXTREMELY fancy restaurant where children are not welcome and then go home and stay up all night playing loud rock music. Proceed to sleep in most of the day lie in bed most of the rest reading and then have wild sex in the kitchen!~
    I know you don't want to hear that - but it sounds GREAT to me!
    Don't give up on Christmas yet - It could still happen. I cannot believe she's turning one in January. It will have to happen before then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart ached when I read this. I'm so sorry, Sarah. Everyone (and I mean everyone) is pulling for ya girl. Hannah Claire IS coming home VERY soon. Maybe you'll be celebrating Christmas in Taiwan?? What a great story to tell HC when she grows up! Start planning that birthday/welcome home party! Thinking and praying for ya girl!
    Holli
    PS: The bunny is the CUTEST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah - this is such an emotional time for you guys. For us, the referral to gotcha wait was high voltage. We had a similar experience to your restaurant story around the same time. A couple with an adorable 1 year old girl from China sat at the table next to us. We were staring so much that we finally had to fess up. Here I am, blubbering in the middle of the restaurant about how beautiful their daughter is and how mine is waiting in Taiwan. You're so incredibly close to holding your little Hannah in your arms - bet you can almost feel her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, my heart aches for you. The pain you feel is still so real for me. I remember it like yesterday. I think you imagining the holidays without HC, is like me imagining Gracyn's birthday without her. Hey, I have an idea, you can celebrate Christmas in January if you need to! I promise, she won't know the difference. Get a really healthy tree this year so it lasts through Christmas. . .just in case. If your wish comes true, and she's home, all the better because you won't have any time to clean up the decorations! I love the bunny, and can't wait to see that post with HC in front of her bunny cake and one beautifully pink glowing candle. Luck is coming your way. . .Thinking of you and praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember feeling this way, and I teared up reading this... I pray it will be soon for you.

    I promise it goes away after you're together. Pinky swear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sarah...my heart just aches for you guys. I pray good news is right around the corner! What a sweet hubby you have to go to build a bear. Can't wait to see Hannah in that tutu swimsuit!! Take Care.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an honest, beautiful post and what a sweet daddy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Sarah~I am down on my face for you and Kevin and Hannah Claire! Hold fast! God is never late! He knows your heart and knows the hairs on her head! All is well, friend!

    My daughter, Kennedy, has that same bunny from BAB...isn't it the softest thing!?! She will love it!

    Hang on, she's coming!
    Kam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww..that hubby of yours is a sweet one! I know this isn't helpful right now, but adoption really does give you and your hubby a special bond that you'll always appreciate. My Chinese daughter picked out that very same shirt for her Build-a-Bear, so excellent taste!

    Praying that God will bring you your special gift at just the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Kevin!! You're looking good for halfway to 76! =) Sounds like a bittersweet day. Hang in there guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah,
    I've been following your blog all summer long, which I've enjoyed! The one thing in your post that's amazing was how much you & Kevin love Hannah, and your hearts aching for the day to hold your daughter! Hold on a little longer, I think you will have her in your arms at Christmas(my prediction), now I'm not sure if it will be in Taiwan or US?? Stay positive :-)

    (hug)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. Hannah is going to be blessed with you two as parents! WHEN you have her in your arms, you'll know that this excruciating wait was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hannah will have a "hayday" tossing those heavy glass bottles on the floor Kevin! The plastic ones wash well in the dishwasher, they really do...LOL...They use mostly plastic at SLC and only gave us one large and one small one for the road... I took 3 big ones with me and currently have about 10 plastic ones going from hand, to sink, to dishwasher, to bottle basket at any givin moment.
    Hope that you had a wonderful Birthday and have baby Hannah Clair in your arms before the holidays!!! I still have a very good feeling about that happening.
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah, sorry this end of the wait is so tough!! Hugs!

    And a note about the bottles, you might want to also get a couple of the plastic Born Frees for out and about, because the glass is so much heavier to carry around. Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah,
    She will be home soon.
    I hope that she is home for this Christmas-she will be home for the next AND everyone after that.
    xoxo,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. We got Claire that SAME BUNNY on her birthday (yesterday) from Build A Bear!! From the same store. :) Hannah Claire will love cuddling with it, it's so soft!!

    So sweet that Kevin thought of doing this. HURRY UP TAIWAN!! I just want to see your baby home so I can stop crying (sad tears) at every post!!!! I want to cry some happy tears now, thank you. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!