Saturday, October 11, 2008

I'm all cultured out...

ethnicexpo_sarah

We had a great time at the Columbus Ethnic Expo today. I can't believe we can have such nice weather in October! It was in the 80s and with beautiful blue skies with not a cloud in sight. Seems like most of the draw to the ethnic expo was for the food. There were tents set up with food from around the world (French Canadian, Vietnam, East Indies, Afro American, Mexico, Germany, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, India, Japan, Hawaii, and on and on). Unfortunately, we didn't arrive hungry enough... so we only ate at Vietnam and Taiwan. We had fried bananas and a coconut soft drink at Vietnam. Their fare at Taiwan was the same as at the China tent, and wasn't too wild. We chose a combo plate of General Tso's Chicken, Fried Noodles, and an egg roll. Alas, the elusive stinky tofu was not on the menu. No Taiwanese Beef and Noodles either. Maybe Hoosiers aren't ready for stinky tofu... or perhaps the smell of stinky tofu would scare away the crowd? There was a little cultural shopping, but I wasn't too impressed. I'd rather be at that outlet mall we passed along the way in the Carter's outlet store!!! We enjoyed tapping our feet along with a Celtic Rock band called Mother Grove that we enjoyed at an Irish Festival in Indianapolis a couple of summers ago. By clicking on their link you can listen to several tracks of their music. I play a little Irish penny whistle, and these musicians amaze me. We then headed down to the City Hall where the Peking Acrobats would be performing. We set up our chairs early so we could get pretty good seats. The show was amazing, and I would have paid good money to see them. We have all kinds of video and photos, but I'll leave you with a nice photo that Kevin took of me today. G'night. I'm all cultured out and it's time for bed.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I wish I could have gone ; )

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that photo of you is gorgeous! I say it definitely needs to go in the next care package to Hannah! But maybe it wouldn't get there in time- my bet is you'll be traveling soon enough to show her the real beautiful mama in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read your blog! Your daughter is a cutie-pa-tootie as we say in SC! Good luck with your adventure of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great photo! Glad you had a great time! I'm getting hungry thinking about asian food!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Sarah, you look fabulous in that photo!! What a great shot! Looks like fun...glad you had nice weather, ours was terribly cold, like 40's cold! BBRRRRRR!!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so cute in your picture!!! All framed with Asian stuff. :) And what, no stinky tofu?? What a ripoff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I would have been able to go! Is it a yearly event? It would be fun to go next year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg! I have been reading your blog for a while now (we were interested in Taiwan adoption...) Anyway, you were in my hometown! Columbus, IN! I love our Ethnic Expo, but we couldn't go this year. I'm glad you had a good time! I'll be watching for you and Hannah-Claire next year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!