Monday, August 4, 2008

otherwise occupied: painting the nursery


My mother called tonight for the Hannah Claire update. Well, there wasn't any update. No news to share. We've been busy at home with a little painting project. It will get much more interesting next week when we have an artist coming to paint Hannah Claire's nursery walls.

We've put on three coats of dark gray magnetic paint on one wall, two coats of primer on four walls, and two coats of beige color on the ceiling and four walls. Yup, that's a lot of paint. Sedona has been locked out of the "wet paint" room and she's not happy about it. She sits outside the door wanting to be with us while we are painting with an occasional whimper.

I don't know about you, but painting a room tests a marriage. I can't believe the huge amount of paint that has been spilled, splattered, and sprayed onto the floor. We do have a huge canvas tarp that covers most of the floor, but somehow paint managed to leak through it as well as splatter on parts that the tarp isn't covering. I've heard lots of four letter words over the last four days, and I don't think any of those words were GOOD, PRAY, EASY, or NICE. We bought a powered paint roller so we (that means Kevin) wouldn't have to go up and down a tall ladder over and over to fill up the roller. In theory, this was a great idea, and one can paint faster with a powered roller. In practice, two relatively inexperienced painters don't do well with a machine that leaks and splatters paint all over the place. There was also an incident where a hose was left on for over five hours, but we won't get into that. Let's just say that I'm very glad that we're all done except for a couple of touch ups that we can finish tomorrow night. Thank goodness we have a solid floor covering in the nursery and can wipe up paint spills easily. If there were carpet in that room, it would have to be replaced for sure.

I chickened out of painting the walls pink. I was fearful of a Pepto Bismol effect.

12 comments:

  1. I am anxious to see the final product!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were wise on the pink thing- it can be soooo tricky. In our old house, I painted Lael's nursery a light old-fashioned rose color on the top 1/3 of the wall, and a lovely orange-sicle orange on the bottom 2/3. I LOVED IT... but I debated on the pink for a long time. Gosh, I loved that room. Well, we moved, and the girl room here was painted pink with much less thought- it is that horrible cotton candy, Pepto Bismal, Not Easy On the Eyes Pink. And, oh my goodness, I can't wait to paint over it. Although, we've been here a year and a half and the rest of the house projects have taken priority. I just might be holding out to get news of a referral so I can plan the shared room and buy bunk beds etc. the girl room is getting overhauled (hopefully in the next year- hopefully!).

    So, what are your plans with the magnetic paint? And what is the mural going to be of? Can't wait to see!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, those powered paint things are awful. I do know how to paint, my dad was a house painter. And those things are awful awful awful. Did I tell you how bad they leak? And use more of your paint than you would normally use? Ick. :)
    We have a beautiful pale pink in Jani's room, so soft. But boy did we discuss the pinks! No pepto here!
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, you area scaring me! WE are painting Noah's room Saturday! :) I have some friends coming over and the ladies are paiting and they guys are fence raising! I am getting worried. and our room is carpet!

    Tami
    Noah's Mommy
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
    childofmyheart@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, painting. A couples retreat without having to leave home! ;-) Have you ever wallpapered together? That is what almost got us! Have fun. And that magnetic wall sounds cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've never wallpapered together, but we've hung borders together before. Kevin's actually much better at hanging a border than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.. sounds like too much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures of Sedona cracked me up. As do your "nice 4 letter words" that did not get spoken. :) Haha. Wow... so sorry about the splattering everywhere. What a mess. And I'm sure your water bill will be fun next month!!! We left our hose on overnight once. I won't tell you how much extra our water bill was...

    I love the beige you picked. Taupe colors can be tricky but you guys picked a good one!! Can't wait to see it all put together.

    Hugs,
    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the final product. It sounds like the results will be full of creativity and outright fun. Love the ceiling on that room, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oohhh! Can't wait to see how everything turns out:) Cant believe there were only 4 letter words exchanged instead of black eyes too... hehe! I'm sending you an email. You won't believe who one of my patients was~!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sedona is so cute.
    Our little dog Hailey was the same way when we painted Zoe's room.
    "Pay attention to me"
    Does Sedona wave with her front paws to get your attention? Hailey does.
    Dawn
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stop laughing...
    Sounds like a wonderful time!
    Looking forward to seeing the finished nursery. Please hurry up!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!