Wednesday, August 6, 2008

the fortune cookie answers my most frequently asked question


If you can't read the graphic above, it reads "August 6, 2008: What's the question everyone keeps asking us? It's "when?" When does Hannah Claire come home? The answer is... we don't know. We just have to wait on the court system. It's hard to explain this to people that don't have any experience with international adoption. I hope this fortune cookie I opened tonight at dinner knows what its talking about!!!"

Today we received confirmation that our dossier documents were sent to St. Lucy's last Wednesday. Now everything is out of our hands and the agency's hands... and we wait. St. Lucy's will file our case into court in Taiwan, maybe even this week or next week. We've been told to not expect to hear much or even any news from St. Lucy's about our case until we get the call of a first ruling. No news is good news, in this waiting period.

The touch ups to the nursery painting are done. (Praise the Lord!) We went to Babies R Us tonight and ordered the crib and changing table set that we'd picked out oh... about 16 months ago! The furniture should arrive in 1-2 weeks. We took home a crib mattress tonight and I got a little teary eyed while Kevin put it in our vehicle. I'm still feeling very thankful... thankful that we're getting the opportunity to raise this little bug of baby girl that we love so much already. There's been many months of waiting where I really doubted this would ever happen. This side of the wait has been much easier... like a relief to me, but harder on Kevin has he's mind is a swimming with all of the stuff that goes along with becoming a full time stay at home parent.

Okay okay, enough with the sappy stuff. After heading out of Babies R Us we went to House of Hunan. I've been there once before with my friend Amy (You ready to have that baby yet, girlfriend?!!? It's T minus 9 days until THE DAY) after a Babies R Us trip. We had a great dinner... and their egg rolls are my favorite egg rolls I've ever had. Tonight the best part came with our almond cookies and fortune cookies after dinner. My fortune cookie told us that the current year will bring me much happiness. This year as been a pretty happy year already with Hannah Claire's referral, and hopefully this cookie knows what's it's talking about... and that this year will get even better with a "Journey to Taiwan for Hannah Claire" before the end of 2008.

P.S. I've heard your opinions regarding baby carriers, strollers, and drop down vs. stationery cribs. Any opinions on baby monitors?

12 comments:

  1. I always loved my Fisher Price Lights and Sounds monitor. I scoured everywhere to find one when I lost one of the pieces during a move... they no longer make the same version I had. I did finally find my piece and when we move back to the US and if I still need a monitor, I'll be digging that thing out of storage. It was fantastic!
    We have some Philips EU one now. And never even plug it in anymore.
    Please share your stroller pick - I am curious now if you did get the Combi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like our Sony 27-channel baby monitor. It rarely gets staticky or interference. We have two, one for each of our children's rooms.

    Cindy
    http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 8 days left and I alternate between being really ready to meet this little guy and completely terrified. =)

    Love the nursery color. Monitors - well, with your first one - you will hear EVERY LITTLE NOISE and instantly wake up each time. I never used one after Emma - except when I went outside and she was napping. To me .. one is no different from the other. I don't think you can go wrong.

    Yummmm .... House of Hunan. I took my mom when she was in town last.

    Amy and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Congrats on the dossier being sent!!!

    I hope you get a super fast judge, you totally deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE our video monitor...worth every penny!! I love it when I hear Brady talking to his friends (stuffed animals)and I can take a peak and see what he's doing, not to mention when he cries I can see what's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VIDEO MONITOR! Cannot beat it!
    Find one with 2 screens. 1 for the kitchen and 1 for your bedroom! Trust me on this one!

    A

    HEY KEV! WAZZZZUUUUUP?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ignoring the fact that I can't stand baby monitors because it is serious stereo at 2 am when having the bedroom doors open solve the problem... the best monitor I ever got out of 5 was a cheap little $13 dollar one at Ross! Ha ha I've had some from $50 on up and that one was the greatest (not much help but funny).

    Anyways, I'm so thankful to hear that things are progressing for you guys! It's exciting that you are decorating...so when is she coming home? Nah... j/j! I'm on your side! Can we share fortune cookies... is that allowed because you've got seriously good luck?! p.s. great poo post! he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can totally get by on a cheapie (we used a free one we bot at BRU w/Andrew) or you can get by without one if you have a small house and don't get outside much. W/William, we splurged and got the Summer handheld monitor w/the video screen. It's got good sound quality (except when we're walking around outdoors; gets fuzzy then). It's nice to be able to see him if he's standing up and crying vs. just lying down crying so we know when to go in to get him from his nap. However, we've been lazy and haven't found a way to rig it to the wall so we can get good closeups of his face (useful if you want to see if he's got his blanket over his face). At the end of the day, you don't need all the bells and whistles. You don't even need a monitor b/c you'll develop hearing like a hawk. Just depends on how worried a mom you think you'll be :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a monitor for my oldest when he was born but I quickly got rid of it- I found that I was up all night long listening to the monitor :) I have not used one, nor needed one, since (and I am on kid 3!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on knowing the dossier is off and on its way into the courts. Hoping you have a speedy court process! -LynneB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your baby girl is beautiful!
    We adopted our daughter in Feb. at the age of 12 months from Vietnam. She also was born at 2.6 pounds and is still tiny- in fact she is still fitting into a lot of 3-6 month clothes! But she is 100% healthy, and developing on track for her age. She is walking, talking, dancing and growing!

    Your little girl will bring so much joy and laugher to your house. She's a miracle. Congratulations!
    I wish you the best in your wait for travel dates and your trip to bring her home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just posted this question to one of the other groups that I'm in! Some of the suggestions were; the Mobi,Fishers price long distance, Summer video cam...
    I needed one fast because my little boys were in need of some quality time with me outdoors while Allie was napping.
    I tried to grab a Mobi at a couple of different local stores, but they were out of stock. I wound up trying a Fisher price Long distance one and it works beautifully! Very impressed.
    I am still trying to decide which video one to get, but I didn't have time to decide and needed one fast. The Fisher Price monitor was only about $39. As for leaving the doors open, you could probably do that but we can't because of the other children upstairs. We actually have a hard time hearing her from our room so the monitor works out great. It has a volume control and I actually have it sitting on the floor right next to my bed.
    Lora

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!