Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Double Ten Day

Today is the national celebration day for the government of Taiwan, called the Republic of China. It celebrates the start of the Wuchang uprising on October 10, 1911. Traditionally, the celebration starts in front of the presidential building with flag raising, public singing of their national anthem, and a military parade. Fireworks displays in the evening are head throughout major cities across the island. This symbol is often used for Double Ten Day because it is the combination of two characters for 10.

Until TODAY, military parades had on Double Ten Day not been held since 1991 because of tensions with China. Taiwan has been flexing it's muscles recently trying once again to gain United Nations recognition, and used today's Double Ten Day parade to show their stuff. Today's parade was complete with tanks rolling down the street, fighter planes streaking across the sky in formation, and marching by military honor guards.

This holiday sounds a lot like Fourth of July celebrations here in the US, minus the tanks and tensions with China.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, cool!! Thanks for this interesting info. I read the article and looked at the picture and inside I was going, "WOO-HOO TAIWAN!!!!" :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the researching you do about Taiwan. I want so much for each child to know the difference in their cultures. I am trying to really research the DIFFERENCE in the Chinese and Taiwanese cultures, so that Kevin will know that we valued his culture as much as Claires'. Keep the good tidbits coming sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that your wedding anniversary is soon so, Happy Early Wedding Anniversary! I know that it has almost been 30 days since the 30-60 day FFC conversation and I am checking your blog even more with added fervor! Thanks for the lesson on Taiwan. International adoption opens our minds up to so many different possibilites and actualities! Vonne Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this...I appreciate the info. An acquaintance of mine isn't eating meat for ten days as part of this holiday...not sure how that all plays into this. I'll have to ask her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know I really enjoy your blog and I check it out nearly every day. I can't wait for you to get that referral!
    Alice (Who has been waiting for a referral since May!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah your so on top of the holidays/ foods/ traditions! If I owned the Travel or Food Network I'd so hire you just to do shows in Taiwan:) LOL!

    Your blogs the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting - I knew that there was a holiday there this week - but I didnt know all of that!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!