Monday, September 24, 2007

TX vacation: Boba Tea House (Anyone for boba tea, fried tofu, or pot stickers?

Those of you who have read this blog for awhile know that I've very interested in trying popular Taiwanese food, including boba tea and stinky tofu. This was one of the highlights of my trip to Fort Worth to visit Kevin's sister and her daughter. Be sure to read the links to boba tea and stinky tofu to understand why I'm so excited about this.

Kevin and I were out running errands around town with his sister Karen in Fort Worth one day. We just went through a drive-thru bank when I spied this restaurant across the parking lot. "Does that say boba tea? Ohmygosh, we have to go!!!"



I took a photo of our receipt so I can remember what we all ordered. They had a special that day, buy three specialty drinks and get one free. Kevin and I shared three flavors of boba tea between us. Watermelon flavor was our favorite.


Karen ordered a smoothie with boba.

The boba tea cups were sealed with a plastic wrapper. One pokes through the seal with your big straw. The straw is huge to allow you to suck up the black "boba" tapioca balls into your mouth.

I got really excited when I saw fried tofu as an appetizer. Unfortunately, it wasn't stinky tofu. I'll have to wait until we go to night markets in Taiwan for the stinky variety. Darn. It was alright, and served with a soy dipping sauce. The scallions added to the flavor. Four years ago on a family vacation to Germany, Austria, and the Czech republic, my mother took beautiful pictures of the foods we ate on our trip. Thanks mom for this great idea!

My dinner. Very yummy, shaken beef with sticky rice and salad. The lettuce didn't have a dressing. Karen and I ordered the same thing. We figured it was meant to eat together with the beef and sticky rice at the same time.

Kevin's dinner. These "combination soft noodles" were great! I helped myself. Thanks for sharing, sweetie.


On our second trip to the Boba Tea House, we brought the little munchkin Isobella with us. She wasn't too keen on the idea of black tapioca balls in her banana smoothie. If one of the balls started going up her straw, she stopped sucking so it would go back down. Isobella must have liked the looks of Uncle Kevin's "combination soup," and we heard repeatedly, "I want combination soup!"

This was the first time that I've ever had pot stickers. They were alright, kind of a simple food. Here's Isobella finishing off a pot sticker.
Kevin's combination noodle soup looked yummy.

My glazed pork wasn't so great. It wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a very fun trip!! Your niece is a cutiepie. And I loved all the pics of the food. Making me very hungry. :) I am a huge fan of potstickers myself. But only the homemade kind that this friend of mine makes. They are to DIE for. (I should get the recipe and share it!!)

    The boba tea looks fabulous too... Amazon.com sells boba tea mixes and I might try the watermelon on your recommendation. :)

    You guys are so cute!! :) I love the picture of you & Kevin with your 3 boba teas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to find a boba tea shop soon, so I know what you're tasting. All that food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly how they do it in Taiwan. I was with Fion when I got my tea - with teriyaki bubbles, not tapioca. However, I wished I'd paid attention more, because they sealed it and then I got the big straw. Very cool. Jeff and I lived in Ft. Worth for a while; we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I know its almost midnight here in Maryland but Man Oh Man am I hungry now:)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!