Saturday, September 8, 2007

two adults, no kids, watching PBS children's programming

Kevin and I watched the TIVOed Arthur episode today where Binky's mom and dad adopted a daughter from China. Wow, can you believe that they got a referral only a year after their homestudy started? (That's a joke, as people starting now will most likely wait three years, possibly longer.) Anyway, we think they did a good job telling a believable story with positive adoption language... except that Binky's mom didn't look very excited when they got their referral. I mean... heck. I full expect to be an emotional mess when we find out about our referral, complete with lots of screaming, crying, and laughing. Maybe Binky's mom had other problems (schizophrenia or was she heavily medicated???) because she announced the referral to Binky with flat affect. But then how did she qualify to adopt from China with those problems? I'm glad that some cuties enjoyed the show for it's entertainment value a lot more than we did. If anyone local wants to watch the show... well, wants their children to watch the show, we'd be more than happy to burn it to a DVD for you. Overall I think this Arthur episode would be a great way to introduce a child to the the idea of international adoption.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I would have seen the show I would have loved to show it to my students!
    Heather
    tovietnam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only ones ; ) My husband and I liked it to. Our little dog Caesar seemed to really enjoy it also. He was very interested in the crying baby.

    Andrea
    sweetasberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!