Sunday, April 15, 2007

Russia suspends work of foreign adoption agencies

Here's a link to MSNBC's story. Basically, Russia has new standards for accreditation of agencies. These agencies have submitted their reapplications, but the accreditation committee hasn't approved any of them yet. The old accreditations expired Wednesday. My heart goes out to families working with agencies that have their adoptions temporarily suspended. I know that this news is very painful for them. I would be extremely frustrated with the Russian government's adoption accreditation committee sitting on my agency's paperwork!

This is just one more reason I'm so pleased with how international adoptions work in Taiwan. I read on a message board today that people applying to my agency's Taiwan program now may face a wait of a year for a referral. Bad news for Russian adoptions may mean increased wait times for other International programs that are already backlogged from China changes. I read last night that FTIA, an adoption agency in Indiana that we would use if we were adopting from China, has stopped accepting applications for their Vietnam program because they have so many families in the pipeline. Wow. Thank goodness we started this process last fall and not now.

2 comments:

  1. It scares me though - what if Tawian closes? I also have to wonder if it will make our wait longer somehow because so many people are signing up even though we are already on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard anything about this. I know someone who is in Russia right now, picking up her son. I hope this doesn't affect her.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!