Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tea Eggs - Part 2

My first batch of tea eggs aren't so hot. They just taste like hard boiled eggs. There isn't near as much brown into the white of the egg as the picture on the previous post. I think my eggs cooked too long before I cracked them and finished simmering for an hour, so there isn't much "tea" very deep into the white of the egg. The whole house smelled wonderful like anise while they cooked! Just wish they tasted like they smelled. I'll have to try it again. If anyone reading this has eaten tea eggs, please post what it's supposed to taste like. How strong should the anise and tea taste be? Do you eat them warm or cold?

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I've had many a 7-11 tea leaf egg in Taiwan. The star anise shouldn't be overwhelming... and now that I think of it, it's real hard to describe which flavor is prominent. Also, the coloring doesn't necessarily get that deep.

    I have a recipe as well that I can share. I'll try and post it here tomorrow night if I get a chance (and can find it).

    Kevin

    PS You eggs look exactly like they should - i.e. great. That's a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin, I was hoping that you'd be reading again! The pic of a tea egg in part 1 isn't our tea egg, it's one I found online. My tea eggs don't have the big brown spots. They look like the white part with little cracks in them... like white china with brown cracks. Maybe the main problem is that I couldn't find star anise and used anise seed, hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!