Saturday, January 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home


2009-01-03_03-52-24_Canon

2009-01-03_03-52-15_Canon


Home Sweet Home... at 3:30am with sweet potato. I'll post more about our homecomming once I get some photos of the affair. I have a feeling Hannah's Nana and Grandpa took several... and if they didn't... I'm sure some of the other people in the crowd at the airport will e-mail me a few. We were greeted with a welcome home banner that people signed, balloons - pink with Hello Kitty!, and lots of hugs and kisses. It was so cute that there were so many little kids there running around, and we thank all of the families for coming out on a cold January night with your kiddos.

It took a village of people to help us carry all of our bags out to our car and my mom and dad's car. We had a little trouble in the dark trying to get little Miss into the car seat as it wasn't adjusted for her height yet. Thankfully, my cousin's little one just finished with his carrier style car seat that was already adjusted for Maddux's height, and it fit Hannah just right. Hannah's uncle hooked up the carrier base for us as sleepy Daddy and Mommy weren't too mechanically inclined after traveling for 28 hours.

Backing up...

Immigration in Detroit was just fine. Luckily we were off the plane pretty quickly and were in line before most of the hundreds of people that were on their with us. Unlike some other airports, they didn't allow adopting US families to the front of the immigration line, but we only had to wait about 20 minutes. We showed our passports and Hannah's paperwork stack from AIT to an officer who checked them over before having us go stand in "the blue line." There was only one group ahead of us in "the blue line" so that didn't take long. The officer was friendly, didn't ask many questions. I was holding Hannah, and joked that it looked like her paperwork weighed more than she does. The officer smiled at us and said, "I think you're probably right. Welcome home, folks." I was too tired to break out the little American flags that I had in the diaper bag... too sleepy for photo opps, just very thankful we didn't have any problems.

Daddy loaded up our luggage on two carts and Hannah sat on top a suitcase as I wheeled a cart through customs. When we were loading up our carry ons onto the x-ray equipment and VERY STRESSED about taking off our shoes, or belts, getting out my computer, and making sure that the disposable cameras containing photos of Hannah at the nursery before we picked her up didn't go through their machine... a lady remarked, "Oh... how cute! Where'd you get her from?" I was putting our stuff on the belt and trying to hold Hannah and pretended that I didn't hear her because I didn't have the time or patience to deal with adoption related questions right now. When I didn't reply after about five seconds, the woman remarked, "WELL... it looks like she doesn't have a very friendly mommy." Are you kidding me?!?!?! I'm going through airport security with a child and you tell me I'm unfriendly because I don't want to talk to you right now??? Whatever.

Northwest's WorldClub lounge in Detroit was a blessing as we were able to take showers, have some snacks, and try to relax a little bit during our four hour layover in Detroit. Hannah was fussy and mad that we wouldn't let her crawl around on the ground and explore.

Hannah has been pretty fussy since we got home. Last night she woke up three times. At 3am we decided that we were all hungry. Hannah had a bottle and some squash while we had pizza rolls and milk. We were awake and decided to start unpacking, but Hannah wanted to explore and would not sit in the Bumbo chair or play nicely by herself. She had to be held or wanted into what we were doing. After listening to so much crying I was on overload and told Kevin that I couldn't deal with this all right now. I called my mom at 4:20am and told her that she could come over ANY TIME today. Right now? Yes, right now. She said that she'd be right over. I took Hannah into our bedroom with me and we laid down together. She went to sleep after 30 seconds of back patting. Kevin later came in to put her in her crib, but I heard her start crying again several minutes later. Luckily, Nana was here to the rescue soon so Mama could check out for some much needed sleep with and turned off the baby monitor.

Sedona is still at my parents' house, and hopefully we'll be ready to add her to the mix once some more laundry is finished and things put away. Last I heard she's catching up on her sleep after spending nearly two weeks at Amy's house enjoying the most amount of attention she's ever had in her life.

Kevin and I are taking turns sleeping, doing laundry, and putting away all of our gear from the trip. I'm starting to upload more photos into our Flickr account, and hope to make some catchup posts soon.

Thanks so much for so many sweet comments and prayers. We're so blessed.

17 comments:

  1. 3am Pizza and squash... breakfast of jet lag champs! So sorry about the exhaustion.. that I am not looking forward to. Grandma... you ROCK! Thanks for coming over at 4am to help... it's a blessing to have family ready and willing to help. Okay, didn't know about non-xraying of the disposable cameras. I vote don't put away the stuff... just throw it in the closet for a week and forget about it.
    ;0) Hope you get feeling adjusted quickly as well as little Miss Sunshine (I found Little Miss Giggles for you ;0)

    WELCOME HOME MISS HANNAH CLAIRE & MOM AND DAD! Happy Homecoming Day!

    p.s. Where's she from? Why Heaven, of course! =0) I wouldn't want to deal with questions either... I'd probably say something I'd regret later so bravo for you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!! Glad you are all safe and sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!! I'm so glad to hear you made it home safely. I know how tired you must be. Jet lag is a killer for me, especially on the return home. Take it easy on yourself and try to nap when she naps. (I'm sure you already knew that!) And by the looks of that bib, you get to practice your laundering stain-removal skills. Oh, how you have been waiting for this moment!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending a hug from Ga. New parent fatigue is so hard...it's a huge adjustment, and I'm sure it's exaggerated by jet lag. If your house isn't babyproofed yet, put up some baby gates and let her explore safe areas. Or even just close her bedroom door, dump some toys onto the floor and lie down in the middle of them while she crawls around and plays. I had many a cat nap that way when mine were her age! Good for you for calling your mom...don't ever feel guilty about that! Grandmas rock! Take care, and thanks for taking the time to post when you're so exhausted. We're all rooting for you, and it does get easier with time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for that much needed sleep a new Mommy (and Daddy) needs. You are experiencing the home from the hospital with a newborn fatigue that we all felt! It will slowly pass. It's a good fog you live in though isn't it? ; ) So glad your mom is close by tp help.

    Many hugs and prayers from TX,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! It may not feel like it now, but it does get better. I am glad your mom came over so you could rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing awesome Momma! All 3 of you have been through ALOT and it will only get much better. HC will start getting used to her home and Mommy and Daddy will get some MUCH NEEDED sleep. Take a deep breath. Oh and please return this advice to me when I need it in 2 weeks. Thanks girly!
    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like a new mama...sleep deprived but blessed!
    Hope she settles in soon and you all get "right" again!
    Jet lag is a beast...can't imagine it with a baby. Guess I'll know soon enough!

    Much love and well wishes for a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home! I am sure you're exhausted - that was really nice of your mom to come over in the middle of the night. I am sure she enjoyed getting to know her granddaughter. Hope the next few days and weeks go smoothly with your baby girl, and with Sedona when she comes home.

    Cindy
    http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home! It has been so much fun to travel vicariously with you through your blog. Get that much needed rest, and enjoy every moment...they fly by WAY too quickly! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may not feel like it, but it sounds like you're doing a great job right now. I'm proud of you for asking for help when you needed it. That's the mark of a smart momma.

    Hang in there! It only gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home! The first days at home are so glorious but hard, exhausting and crazy too! Don't worry about taking some much needed time for yourselves and bravo for calling in the calvary when you needed it! :)

    It does get easier!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sarah, I'm so glad you're home, but I can totally relate. Your experience sounds much like ours when we brought Peyton home. Gracyn's arrival home was so different, but she's alot older and can walk! Good for you for calling your mom! She sounds like a blessing and she knew you needed her. You are doing GREAT! Your first BIG SMART move was picking up the phone and knowing when you need a break. Take care of yourself sweetie, so you can take care of Hannah. She's home. She'll be there when you wake up! And she's in good care with family. Forget the laundry, forget the dust mites. Life will settle in for all of you and before you know it you'll have found a routine. Praying for your transition home. I'm sure you want to blog away, I know I did. And managed to, but get rest. We'll all be waiting for your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for calling your mom right away! Once you're caught up on your sleep, everything is so much easier to deal with...

    Glad you're home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome home! :) Get some rest and ENJOY your baby girl :)

    blessings,
    Tami
    Noah's mama
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home! Loved following your journey & look forward to continuing!
    Ruth H (leaving on Wed for Ryan - yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember calling my mom to come so we could sleep too when we came home from Vietnam. It is great to see you home.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!