Tuesday, December 20, 2011

gingerbread house construction gone wrong

gingerbread1

We brought a gingerbread house kit to Nana and Papa's Sunday night.
I did one last year with Hannah and she loved it. I briefly read the instructions.

gingerbread6

I laughed when Papa suggested putting it together with a glue gun.
"You see, Papa... that's what this thick icing is for."

gingerbread5

We started having a little trouble. The roof began to slide off.
Hannah patched the hole with more candies.

gingerbread4

Then... the roof fell off. Oh no!

gingerbread3

Papa says our house looks like a bank repo.
Uh... apparently I missed the part in the directions where you're supposed to
let the house sit for 30 minutes after putting it together before you decorate it.
That thick icing didn't have time to harden before the candy went on the roof.

gingerbread2

I think we'll use hot glue next year.

Photo credits on this post go to Nana and Papa.

6 comments:

  1. I stumbled accross your blog somehow and boy, am I ever glad I did!
    I decided to read it backwards for the past 2 weeks at work (don't tell my boss ;) ) and i am finally up to date with your blog as of today. What a beautiful story and a beautiful family you have! I was in tears reading/seeing how adorable and grown up Hannah Claire is now. It has been amazing getting to see your struggles/triumphs, so as someone who strongly feels God is calling her to adopt internationally one day, thank you so much for sharing your story and your heart! I'm 22 at the moment, and single, so I still have a ways to go before adoption becomes a reality for me, but you have helped give me hope. Thank you for that! -Julie from Ontario, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I had to break out the glue gun this year too. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours fell apart last year. I remember using chopsticks to prop up the roof so it didn't slide down. I heard that a glue gun is the best to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the glue gun every year. Works great! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL :) Thanks for sharing!! YOur face is priceless and Hannah is soo tickled in that shot! :) Looks like alot of fun!!! I am gonna have to get one next year! :) And I will REMEMBER to wait! LOL :) thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jade and I put together one of these this year. We were all set and ready to begin when I discovered the Overnight waiting period required after putting the walls up. Oh well...had to distract her with other fun projects until the next day. They should come with disclaimers on them (particularly for young children or kids with ADD)...warning the parent not to even mention the project until the house is "glued" together. :)

    Merry Christmas!
    Delana
    http://9yrpregnancy.com
    http://delanasworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!