Wednesday, January 21, 2009

first doctor visit

I have to start out this post by saying that I highly recommend Dr. Keck at the International Adoption Clinic at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis. We had well over 45 minutes of "face time" with the doctor today. She's very thorough, has a wonderful bedside manner, and is obviously very experienced with preemie issues and international adoption issues.

I'm relieved to know that the doctor says Hannah Claire's right on target developmentally for and adjusted age of nine months, especially as she's become much more stable sitting over the last three weeks since we've had her. We'll be moving to a US preemie formula for at least three more months until she's 12 months adjusted age. Her arm muscles are a little tight, which could be preemie related, so we'll be be doing some physical play that involves stretching her arms all the way out. We'll schedule an appointment with an audiologist to recheck her hearing. We need an appointment with a pediatric opthamologist to check her eyes. Things were looking good with her eyes in Taiwan until the most recent checkup. Dr. Keck said that she was "delightful" and doing great for such a little preemie. We think so too!

We'll need to return to Riley for an appointment with a dermatologist that specializes in hemangiomas. Hemangiomas are blood filled birthmarks/tumors that are the most common tumor of infancy. Because Hannah has a few, there is a risk that she could have some internally. The so called "hemangioma queen" dermatologist at Riley will evaluate the problem areas and will most likely sedate Hannah Claire for an MRI to make sure that she does not have any internal ones that could affect vital organs, the brain, etc. This is all no surprise to us, and we knew all about this when we were presented with her referral. Note that I've debated if I should discuss this on the blog for her privacy, but decided that because they are visible to the world... and there will always be people asking (and BELIEVE me they HAVE asked), "Oooh, what happened to her there?" there's no sense in hiding it.

My only surprise during the visit is that the doctor recommended that she be evaluated by a speech language pathologist that specializes in children and swallowing issues. Hannah Claire does occasionally choke and cough during bottle feedings, usually 1-2 times during every other bottle. The doctor told us that this is most likely preemie related. Of course, I called my favorite SLP Amy on the phone right after we leave and enjoyed a conversation about this in the middle of Nordstrom's children's department. (Oooh! They had a Hello Kitty t-shirt that was pink and white and said "I'm a keeper" that was sooo totally cute and I really wanted it, but Kevin frowned at the $22 price tag for a baby's t-shirt and I didn't overrule him.)

So... after the appointment we go to the lab for all of these titers and tests for our cutie patootie. This was the hard part of the day. I hear about all of these parents that can't stand to watch their children be in pain. That wasn't the issue at all. Hannah Claire is a fighter. We know this from our struggles with the nasal saline and bulb syringe for her boogers. I held her abdomen tightly with one hand, pinned down another arm with my other hand, Kevin's holding her down too... I think her head and neck, the phlebotomist is holding the arm that's getting stuck with both hands, the phlebotomist is getting kicked in the legs from Hannah's little feet. I think they needed like 8-9 vials of blood. One arm pooped out, so she had to get stuck a second time in the other arm. My right arm was sooooooo tired from holding her down, oh my gosh! Because the phlebotomist needed both hands to hold her arm still, Kevin got to hand off multi colored vials to the phlebotomist and even stick the vials into the retrieval section where the blood flows into. It was crazy, and oh man... did she ever throw a royal mad baby fit! Grandma Adrienne could her her screaming through two hospital doors. After we were finished I gave her a bottle and the mad baby tears slowly stopped and her eyes closed into bottle bliss. "Shushhhh, baby. It's okay. I'll take you to the mall and we'll buy you a pretty dress. That will make us all feel better, won't it?" Well, it certainly made Mama feel better after all that drama!

So, we went to the mall, found the pretty dress AND matching shoes, Hannah had her first taste of mushed up french fries, liked them AND didn't puke them back at me, and then she slept in the car pretty much all the way home.

P.S. Oh! I forgot to add, we had our first sighting as bloggers today. A woman at Riley stopped me in the waiting room, smiled, and asked where Hannah was from. Praying I wouldn't have to be on the defensive with lame-o insensitive adoption comments or questions, I answered, "She was born in Taiwan," and smiled. THEN I noticed her CUTE little boy that was most likely an international adoptee as well. Yay! She asked, "Do you guys live near ____________? I know Kelli _______. She told me that you might be here today too." Hahahahaha!!! How funny is that!!!

13 comments:

  1. Haha...yeah, I couldn't wait to tell Kelli that I did meet you!

    Hannah is a cutie patootie and I was happy to see her in person.

    Hopefully you don't get too many lame-o adoption questions. Surprisingly the only adoption comments I received were by Americans when I was in S. Korea! Crazy people.

    Erica
    http://home4haven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! It is such a small world! LOL! Hope all goes well with the blood work and hey if Miss Hannah needs a spectacle RX then give me a shout (Wink, Wink!) I'll hook ya up:) Hugs from Kobi's mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I mentioned at lunch that I thought a blog buddy would be at Riley today, I had no idea your paths would cross. I couldn't believe it when Erica called me to tell me she met you!

    So glad Hannah is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your visit went well and it sounds like the blood draw went pretty much like ours with Braylen!! I was soooo tired at the end of it, she had the luxery of sleeping the whole way home!! Isn't Dr. Keck amazing??? We also saw a SLP for Alea and her eating issues. Got some good ideas--ended up not being the problem, but was still valuable information!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know all about the bloodwork and all the other fun stuff. We had Ava's eyes checked thru infantsee.com. It's a free eye exam for kids under the age of one. Just type in your zip code and a bunch of docs in your area pop up. We also are in the First Steps program for speech and developmental therapy and they did a free hearing exam. Check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwwww...pricks are so hard! and multiple pricks are even worse! i'm so sorry :( addie has a hemangioma also. actually, she has several now that i think of it. they did an ultrasound on the base of her spine to make sure everything was ok. (no spina bifida occult) the one on her leg has already started to fade and disappear. it's amazing that these are the only birthmarks that do that. i understand the "ohhhh, what happened?" you get from people and kids think it's a booboo. but it's still tough to explain. i just usually say it's a birthmark but it doesnt hurt and no, it's not bleeding :/ do let us know how the mri goes (and when you'll have it if you can so we can continue to pray for that sweet baby girl!) thanks for the comment on my blog. i tried hard not to copy your "scrappin" but i will not lie and say i didnt look at them to get ideas and understand how to create them in elements. pretty fun. yours are so amazing though. i love the layering affect. anyway...comment rambling! have fun what that darling baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a day. . .good for you for sharing Hannah's story. It's the candid posts like these that help the rest of the adoption community to understand that they're not alone (if they've opted not to go "public" with their information) and that this is the reality of being a parent! I enjoyed reading about your day, although I wish you had overruled on the HK shirt! Every time I see HK clothes I think of Hannah! They even had an HK shirt at the Build-A-Bear store, and I was thinking that you weren't able to find one (way back when) -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, just wanted to encourage you as far as Hannah's hemangioma's go...Syd had one come up just after birth on her back/hip above the kidney area. It grew really fast over 5 days and then leveled off. I know Hannah is a year old so hopefully hers have stopped growing to. But Syd's turned out to be superficial and now (she is 6), it is barely pink and the size of a "BB". It really scared me when it happened since as I'm sure you know, they can be really serious. I'll be praying that these turn out to be little "nothings" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah ~

    I know some pretty good pediatric opthamologist that come to visit our preemie population at Clarian North in Indy ~ we are affliated with Riley. If you need some names, please don't hesistate to let me know:) Maybe we could even meet for lunch when you all come down if you would like:)

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, If you want Hello Kitty shirts send me an email. H&M has the cutest Hello Kitty stuff. We've recently acquired a lot. Email me her size and consider it in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a day! I am so happy that you guys live so close to great doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a day! I think you all need a rest after holding her down. It's amazing how much blood can come out of one little kid.

    I completely understand about your going public about her hemangiomas. Our little guy has a big mongolian spot on his tush. We made sure to have the pediatrician document it in his file. 'Cause ya never know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post - My granddaughter had a hemangioma on her head when she was born. It remained the same size for several months, then began to shrink. There is no sign of it now.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!