Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's a whole nü way to travel!

The first time we visited Chicago's Chinatown I had a tough time getting around. I'm not very familiar with the Chicago area and the urban sprawl mixed with native taxi drivers makes travel difficult for me. I vowed that if I went back I would be armed with a GPS device so I wouldn't have to be overwhelmed by the lack of local knowledge.

Last week when we made the plan to visit Chicago again to see the Dragon Boat Festival I purchased a GARMIN nüvi 200W to assist me in my travel. This thing is worth every cent I paid for it! It is large enough to see clearly from anywhere in the car and small enough to take with you when walking thanks to the internal battery.

Sarah posted about our trip to Giordano's Pizza... What she didn't tell you was the location we had planned to visit on South Wabash Avenue was closed for refurbishment. We had just parked the car nearby for a $12.00 fee and we wern't happy that pizza wasn't on the menu. I had the nüvi in my pocket so I looked up Giordano's and it was able to direct me to another location in walking distance right in the shadow of the Sears Tower.

Before we went to Giordano's, we visited Millenium Park. On the way there Sarah found a Poster Plus store. Inside she purchased a "Midsummer Light" but we were unable to carry it with us so the store held it for us until sunday morning. Sunday morning, a large section of Michigan Avenue was closed to traffic for a bicycle race so the nüvi was able to route us around the congestion and find an alternate route to the Museum of Science and Industry since most of the traffic that normally occupied Michigan Avenue was using Lake Shore Drive.

Upon returning home I got the chance to hook the nüvi up to my computer and I downloaded both English and Mandarin labeled maps of Taiwan to the unit. Now when we hit Taiwan we'll know if our taxi driver is taking us on an undocumented scenic route! The unit can even be configured to speak in Mandarin!

6 comments:

  1. WOW ~ I hadn't thought of using a GPS overseas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if you have played pay it forward yet where you get a gift for your baby and then when you are ready to travel you send out gifts to 3 new mommies who are waiting but if you haven't and you want to I would love for you to be one that plays my pay it forward. If you go to my blog www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com and post a comment under the post that says PAY IT FORWARD and has the picture and all and you are one of the first 3 then you can play :) I have 2 comments so far but only one is for playing the game, the other was just a comment. So come on over. I woudl LOVE to shop for Hannah Claire :)

    blessings,
    Tami
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tami, but we've played already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know how right you are about the taxis taking you a different route. We never took the same route home twice. EVER! Once we got to The Grand Hotel everything was the same, but the rest varied greatly. And our price was never the same. Anywhere from 185ntw to 280ntw. We didn't complain though, we just viewed as getting to see extra scenery.
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I am so gettin me one of those! There are so many scary areas in DC and Baltimore and I swear to God I am always detoured to the Ghetto so maybe with the Nuvu 200W I have a chance of not having the wheels taken off the car and my purse stolen.

    Thanks for the tip (and product review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,
    You amaze me...
    Hannah Claire is going to be one lucky little girl with such smart parents. It's a good thing that you are using your time so wisely now, because you sure aren't going to have any to spare in a few months! LOL
    Lora

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!