Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Goodnight Mooncake


I knew that the Mid-Autumn Festival was coming up tonight and I really wish I could try a mooncake. I gave up too quickly, knowing that there won't be any bakeries around here catering to Asians. I should have thought, "Sarah, you know you can buy anything online these days!" but it didn't click in my head until now. Tonight I'm having a google buffet of images of mooncakes. It's really neat to look at their beautiful designs and all sort of different fillings inside. Some have egg yolks inside that look like little yellow moons. There's a lot less calories and cholesterol in virtual mooncakes than the real thing! It appears that people buy them from bakeries because of their complex designs and really don't make them at home. They sound a lot like fruitcake, very rich and you only eat a few bites. Like fruitcakes, some people like them, and some people really don't! Well if the mooncakes are icky, there's always American Moonpies! If I had a young child at home, I think it would be fun to eat mooncakes, read stories about the moon like Goodnight Moon, have a long daytime nap so we could stay up late and look at the moon. The optimist in me has all sort of great ideas. We'll see how this works out three years from now after working a whole day and doing four loads of laundry at night. My favorite link to read about the Mid-Autumn festival and buy mooncakes online is at the Boston bookshop. Dear Mooncake, my sweettooth and desire for culture both want you but my hips are glad you didn't make an appearance in our home. Goodnight, Mooncake.

5 comments:

  1. Last year, I waited until the last minute for moon cakes. I called my favorite Chinese restaurant and asked if they had any. Turns out they had bought some for themselves and said they would sell some to me. I showed up with my daughter all decked out in her Chinese clothes and they gave them to me free and gave me the very ornate box they came in. So sweet. So, next time you might want to check with your local Chinese restaurant.

    Anyway, we weren't big fans of the moon cakes, so we skipped that this year. We made paper lanterns and lit them up with glow sticks. Our daughter loved the glow stick. Also, Crayola.com has a moon festival coloring page you can print out for free. Just some ideas for next year when you are celebrating with your daughter!

    Michele
    waiting for a boy with FFC

    ReplyDelete
  2. omigosh that looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Sarah! One thing to watch out for-- certain types of moon cakes taste...well...really icky!

    For example, when I bought some last year, the clerk in the Asian section of our foreign foods store said "don't take these back because they smell spoiled; they're supposed to be that way."

    And, even after that warning, I tasted it! Yep. Tasted like it smelled!

    Me, I go for the sweetened bean paste ones. THOSE are tasty!

    Fondly,

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we do Moonpies around here..or Moon shaped cookies. We have tried Mooncakes and they are yucky ha ha

    We did read Goodnight Moon and went outside to check out that pie in the sky : )

    ReplyDelete

Please keep blogging safe for everyone. Do not share personal information about us or other users in your comments. Thank you!